Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managing Corridors in a Large Project

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
craig_robertson
345 Views, 4 Replies

Managing Corridors in a Large Project

How are people preferring to manage corridors on a large project? As corridors can't be Data Referenced I see a lot of posts where Xrefs have been used to bring corridors into drawings and then take sections, this is not ideal if you have a lot of corriors i.e 30+ within one project (mixture of retaining walls mostly). I have my other data (surfaces, alignments, pipe networks etc.) set up as Data References, these are all saved as individual drawings. Really as I see it my options are to have an individual drawing for each corridor which I don't want to do as the Xref list will be horrendous or have all the corridors (with assemblies etc.) in one drawing. The latter seems most likely as a lot of the walls join, my concern with one master corridor Xref however is that in a lot of situations it will slow my drawings down with corridors I don't need.

How have others tackled this? There may be a simple solution but at the moment I can't see the forest for the trees!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
fcernst
in reply to: craig_robertson

Toggle off all corridor regions except the one you are working on to conserve resources. 

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 3 of 5
craig_robertson
in reply to: fcernst

Sorry I'm not sure I follow? Toggling the regions off would only help when working in the 'Master' corridor drawing and would be a hassle working with 30+ corridors with multiple regions, I can't toggle the regions when the corridors are Xref'd in? It would be more effective to have the corridors managed by layer so that when Xrefing the 'Master' corridor drawing I would freeze the corridors not required, there has to be a better option though.

Message 4 of 5

Perhaps it would be easier for us to help if we understood why you're making so many corridors. I've made a corridor with many baselines and made use of multiple assemblies.  Would this approach not seem reasonable for your situation?

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 5 of 5

The project I am working on is a flood prevention scheme, over the whole scheme there are approx. (at this point) 30 retaining walls. Due to ground conditions flood levels etc. these walls all differ so they have at least one Assembly each. In hindsight it might have been better to have used multiple baselines but due to deadlines and wall design happening in a piecemeal fashion I built them based on an alignment for that area only, there is also the issue of the length of the scheme and wall placement constraints (assemblies changed based on what I was targeting i.e bottom of bank, vegetation offsets etc.).

Because it varies so much and walls stop at bridges/houses etc or where terrain is high enough I still think the single corridor approach has merit, I think if i tried multiple baselines for this I would have ran into trouble. I'd agree that if designing roads it would have been a different scenario.

But I'm happy to hear how other people would have approached this Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report