Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make surface from polyline in profile

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
rasmusre
2654 Views, 5 Replies

Make surface from polyline in profile

Hi!

I've got a problem. The geotechnical engineer at my company gave me an interpreted model of the rock for the project I'm working with.

The problem now is that I got a polyline to paste into the profile, which is fine, but I can't find a way to create a surface (or 3d-poly/feature-line to make the surface from).

Basically what I'd like to do is to take my alignment, in this case from a pipe network, and take the polyline in the profile to create a 3D-poly or a featureline with the heights from the profile and the plan data from the alignment.

I tried to create a 3D-poly on top of the alignment and the project it to the profile view. From the the vertexes could be modified to correct heights but only vertically and no new vertexes could be inserted from the profile-view (which would have solved the problem).

Maybe there is a simple solution which I can't think of but If anyone could help me I'd be thrilled.

Best Regards

Rasmus Regnstrand

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
NathanBee
in reply to: rasmusre

First off - AWESOME name Rasmus!

You've kind of got the right idea.

Use Offset Feature Line to offset your 3D polyline, say, 1 metre either side of the original. Next create a new surface and use these three 3D polylines as your definition (as breaklines). This will give you a surface to sample for your profile.

HTH?

Nathan

Message 3 of 6
rasmusre
in reply to: NathanBee

Hi Nathan!

Thank you for your reply and the compliment!

I'm sorry that I wasn't clear enough. I know the command with stepped offset to create the surface IF I have a 3D-poly. In this case I only have a 2D-poly pasted to my profile, see png below.

So my problem is actually how to create a 3Dpoly from 2 polylines, one in the alignment and one in the profile view. None of them have any eleveation data except for the fact where the 2D-poly is positioned in the profile view window (in this case as a x-ref).

The idea I thought of before was to create a flat 3D-poly in the plan. Then I projected the 3D-poly to the profile view (still flat). From that I can change the elevations in the vertexes, but only verically. Therefore I cant get the same position as the 2D-poly in the profile view as long as the vertexes isn't positioned at the same place in the 2D-poly as the 3D-poly.

Hope I made my question clearar now. (Kind of feels like I made it even more hard to understand though...)

/Rasmus

Message 4 of 6
NathanBee

That's kind of what I thought you were after in your original post, but I read and re-read it and thought it was something else in the end.

You may have to resort to using a corridor. You mentioned that you already have an alignment?

I know this sucks, but you will have to trace the polyline in profile by doing Profile by Layout. Then you could use an assembly containing a Marked Point subassembly to create the simplest corridor possible, i.e. a corridor with just a single feature line.

Make the corridor have a small frequency (say 1m?), then rebuild it.

Now do Corridor --> Utilities --> Polyline From Corridor, and select the feature line that your corridor has produced.

One 3D polyline! Smiley Very Happy

Hope this is what you are after Rasmus?

Nathan

Message 5 of 6
Joe-Bouza

If you turn the 2dpline into a profile, you can then display a 3d chain in plan, explode it and you'll have a 3d pline.

In the profile style dialog>> displat tab> >> model drop down>> turn on the light bulb for 3dchain

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 6 of 6
mathewkol
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I'll add another option.

If you have an alignment and a profile, you can create a feature line from that combination.  If you really want a 3d polyline you can explode this feature line.  I wouldn't, as this feature line will be dynamic with changes to your alignment and profile.  Since the OP apparently needs this for a surface, there is no need to explode.

3.png

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report