AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Okkin94
Message 1 of 3 (120 Views)

Maintaining Shortcuts when Moving Project File Locations

120 Views, 2 Replies
04-11-2014 08:44 AM
I am trying to move a project from my server in San Diego to my headquarters server in Louisiana. First I copied the project working folder (including all sub-folders & files) to its new location. Then opened the shortcut XML files shown in the _Shortcut folder for editing. I changed the 'Shortcut Name' and 'File Name' locations to show the new path to the shortcut's file location (the Data Shortcut Editor lets you change the 'File Name' to the new location but not the 'Shortcut Name.' Changing the 'File Name' does nothing to help the moved production file find its shortcut - I have found the Data Shortcut Editor to be quite useless.) Once changing the 'Shortcut Name' & 'File Name' in the XML file, the moved production files path correctly to the moved shortcut file - for 7 out of the 8 production files in the project. One file still looks for the original San Diego server. Its making me pull my hair out & yell a lot. I know if all else fails I can have someone in HQ open the file & Repair Broken Links, but I would like to not have to do that. Does anyone have any answers or suggestions as to what is going wrong or how to fix this?? Greatly appreciate the help!
Distinguished Mentor
michael.robertson
Message 2 of 3 (93 Views)

Re: Maintaining Shortcuts when Moving Project File Locations

04-11-2014 12:19 PM in reply to: Okkin94

What we've found is that if you "move" a project with DataShortcuts is that you need to make sure the old path can no longer be resolved (i.e. rename the original folder). There is DS information stored in the dwg file that holds information to the original file location, so if the old location can still be found, it will use that instead of what is in the DS XML files.

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer
*Expert Elite*
neilyj
Message 3 of 3 (83 Views)

Re: Maintaining Shortcuts when Moving Project File Locations

04-11-2014 12:42 PM in reply to: michael.robertson
I use the data shortcuts editor
neilyj
(No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

IDSP Premium 2015 (mainly Civil 3D 2015 UKIE & Infraworks with some limited 3ds Max Design)
Win 7 Pro x64, 240Gb SSD, 1Tb HDD
32Gb Ram Intel Xeon CPU E5-2650 v2 @ 2.6GHz (32 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
NVIDIA Quadro K4000, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell T5610
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.