Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maintain last dialog box size

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
jcavanagh
4007 Views, 19 Replies

Maintain last dialog box size

If I change the size of, say, the "file open" box, and shut it down, then open it again, it goes back to the default small size.  Is there a setting that I can change so that the dialog box size stay's to my selected size?

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
Jeff_M
in reply to: jcavanagh

As long as I make sure to actually open a file after resizing the dialog, then the next time I use this dialog it will be the new size. If I open the dialog, resize, then cancel the dialog, it will always go back to the previous size. 

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 20
jcavanagh
in reply to: Jeff_M

The dialog box will go back to the small default size no matter if I do or don't open a file.  It's like that with all "file" dialog boxes, ei; the insert file dialog, xref dialog box, insert raster image dialog box, etc...

Message 4 of 20
Hidden_Brain

thsi is something i have always wanted myself. jeff, i tried your suggestion, and it does not seem to work for me. even after i open a file, the next time, the window size switches to the previous one.

Message 5 of 20
jcavanagh
in reply to: Hidden_Brain

Sort of an update.  I also have Autocad 2009 installed and it's having the same issue.  Do you think it might be a problem with one of the Windows components, ei: Microsoft .Net frameworks?  I'm doing a WIndows update now.  I'll keep you guys posted on the results.

Message 6 of 20
Jeff_M

Well after some research on this I cannot figure out why I CAN get mine (Open, Save, SaveAs, Select Xref, etc.) to stay resized. From everything I've read, this is a big wish for many programs...not just AutoCAD. Yet mine behaves just like those wishes are wishing for.

Win7 Ultimate x64

Graphic "Eye Candy" all on.

I have Admin privileges

Works in both C3D2010 & C3D 2011

I guess I should just be glad that it works here. 🙂

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 7 of 20
AllenJessup

I find values in the Registry [ HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2108289806-3803732536-250371831-1001\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R17.2\ACAD-7018:409\<profile>\Dialogs\Open Drawing  ]. Just do a search for Open Drawing.

As far a I remember these control the size of the Dialog. It's been years since I changed any of them so I can't give further advice.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 20
AllenJessup
in reply to: AllenJessup

It looks like those values are also saved in the <Profile>.arg file and could be edited there.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 20
GlennPope

Are you running dual monitors?  There is an issue with having the dialog boxes opening up on the non-primary screen.

Glenn Pope
Civil Designer/CAD Manager
Green Civil Design
Message 10 of 20
jcavanagh

Glenn your a genius.  That was it.  I do have 2 monitor's.  I had the open dialog box on my secondary monitor.  Once I had moved it to the primary monitor and adjusted the size, then I opened a drawing so that the new dialog size would save.  The next time I opened a drawing, the dialog box stayed the new larger size.  Thank you very much for everyone's input. 

Message 11 of 20
TheRuinner13
in reply to: GlennPope

...so, is there a fix? Why shouldn't it work on either screen?

Windows 7 Pro, HP Z400 w/Dual Acer Monitors, 24G Ram, AutoCAD 2013~2015e
Message 12 of 20
GlennPope
in reply to: TheRuinner13

As far as I know there isn't a fix.  Here is the tread from the AUGI forums where this was first brought up (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=97899).  Sounded like Autodesk didn't know it was an issue.

Glenn Pope
Civil Designer/CAD Manager
Green Civil Design
Message 13 of 20
Sinc

There's another issue that's sort of annoying, too...  It doesn't seem to remember the size of columns, if you resize them.

For example, I like to use STARTUP = 1, and I can resize the Startup dialog, but the "File" column always collapses back to its default width, and only really short filenames can be read in the column.  I'm constantly expanding the column so I can see the full filename, but it's always collapsed again the next time.

The Startup dialog also doesn't display the drawings in any apparent order, can't be sorted, and displays the annoying .DST files in the list, but those are other issues...  Smiley Wink

Sinc
Message 14 of 20
TheRuinner13

The column size thing - could that be a Win & issue?

Windows 7 Pro, HP Z400 w/Dual Acer Monitors, 24G Ram, AutoCAD 2013~2015e
Message 15 of 20
Sinc

Do you mean a Win 7 issue?

No, that problem has been there for years now.

Sinc
Message 16 of 20
espinoza1

If you are running dual monitors and AutoCAD is running in the "Non-Primary" monitor, it seems like it will not maintain the last Dialog box size.  Try moving the Autocad Application to the "primary" monitor.

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous

If you just drag the dialog box to the primary monitor, it will remember size.  Autocad application does not have to be on primary monitor

Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: GlennPope

There is a fix. Just move the Open File Dialog Box to the primary screen. The AutoCAD window can stay on the secondary screen. As soon as the dialog box is moved (and used) to the secondary screen it won't maintain the last size.

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

You can also just drag part of the dialog box onto the primary screen. I resized mine so that it just barely crosses onto the main monitor and it will hold that position, just tricky to get it so that you can still see everything, and if you move it to see something you have to move it back before you hit open. But once you get it in a good spot it will stay. Hope they fix this one day having more than one monitor is becoming a standard for some people.

Message 20 of 20
Julesagainn
in reply to: Sinc

Regarding column width, someone on AUGI had this solution, and it works all across windows. I wish I could remember who it was, because it has saved my sanity from one of those sloppy Windows annoyances that lengthen our days.

In the dialog you want to adjust, right click on the column headings, then click "More". At the bottom of the dialog, type in a value for each column you want to adjust. You might have to tinker with it based on your screen settings, fonts, etc. but it works.I haven't found a Window program it doesn't work for.

dialog column width1.png

dialog column width.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report