Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

looking for some suggestions on how to approach a fill evaluation design problem

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Hidden_Brain
276 Views, 4 Replies

looking for some suggestions on how to approach a fill evaluation design problem

i have a site which has a mound in the middle, and quite a few drainage swales running downhill from it, radiating in all directions. i want to calculate a rough estimate of how much fill is required to fill in all those swales (roughly). picture that the existing ridgeline "noses" will be left as is, and the valleys in between are the ones that I want to fill in. the project boundary (toe of slope) is the elevation that I want to hold.

i tried grading tools, and corridors as well, but could not come up with a good way to do this. what I ended up doing is i laid out some feature lines that follow the existing ridgelines down the hill (the banks of the swales), then created a feature line of the project boundary (draped on EG), and a feature line at the top of the mound as the highest elevation, created a TIN from those feature lines so that it triangulates across the swales, and then ran a volume comparison. not the best way i know, but could not think of a better way at that moment.

i will be interested in learning if there is a better way of doing this (i am sure there is one :))

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
fcernst
in reply to: Hidden_Brain

i want to calculate a rough estimate of how much fill is required to fill in all those swales (roughly). 

Make a copy of EG and delete the breaklines that represent the invert of those swales in the Copy, letting the ridgelines triangulate across, then compare the surfaces.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 3 of 5
Hidden_Brain
in reply to: fcernst

Fred, thank you for your reply. I think what I did is similar to what you are suggesting. instead of deleting the invert breaklines of the swales (i only had contours to build the EG), i traced over the top of banks of those swales, created feature lines draped on EG, then added them as breaklines to create a TIN. this TIN was basically the same as EG, except that the swales were not there anymore (triangulated across). then i compared this TIN and EG.
Message 4 of 5
fcernst
in reply to: Hidden_Brain

Right, if you had the breaklines in the EG it would just be less work and steps to delete them.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 5 of 5
Hidden_Brain
in reply to: fcernst

Fred, thanks again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report