Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

“Locking” the layers state in the viewport,

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
JamaL9722060
11726 Views, 6 Replies

“Locking” the layers state in the viewport,

“Locking” the layers state (turned on/of frozen/thawed/ locked/unlocked, etc.) in the viewport,

I’m wondering if there is a technique that allows locking the “state” of layers (turned on/of frozen/thawed/ locked/unlocked, etc.) in the viewport mode such that the viewport will keeps its required state REGARDLESS THEIR STATE IN THE MODEL MODE!

For example, in the screenshot below, freezing the point in the model mode will also freeze them in the viewport! And thus the layer state are not kept as required in the viewport which adds more efforts.

Clip_410.jpg

Clip_411.jpg

Clip_412.jpg

One possible option is saving the layer state! But this feature is not a property for the viewport but needs to be selected from the layers option. And thus we need again to think about layers that are supposed to be turned on/of frozen/thawed/ locked/unlocked, etc. in a particular viewport.

Clip_413.jpg

What I need here is to LOCK the viewport not only in terms of scale but also regarding the state of layers!

Clip_414.jpg

Is that possible?

Thank you

Best

Jamal

---------------------------
Jamal Numan
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Hi,

>> I’m wondering if there is a technique that allows locking the “state” of layers

>> (turned on/of frozen/thawed/ locked/unlocked, etc.) in the viewport mode such

>> that the viewport will keeps its required state REGARDLESS THEIR STATE IN THE MODEL MODE!

The properties Name, On/Off, Thawed/Frozen, Locked/Unlocked, Color, Linetype, Lineweight, Transparency, Plotstyle for a layer are global properties, they can be set to any value but these are then valid for the complete drawing .... not just for one viewport. If a layer is locked then it's locked in the whole drawing, if you are in the viewport 4 of the layout 11 and you unlock the layer now the layer is unlocked in the whole dawing, not just in that viewport.

So make sure you don't get confused with "layer-properties" and "layer-property-overrides".

If you are in the modelspace and you open the layermanager you can see the layer-properties

If you are in a viewport of a layout and you open the layermanager you can see the layer-properties PLUS additional columns for "layer-property-overrides" .... and ONLY THESE OVERRIDES are to be set differently for different viewports.

HTH, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 7

Thank you very much Alfred for the elaboration,

This is a very important distinction between the Model & Viewport concerning the layers. But still the viewport is affected by the state of layers on the model mode

1       Consider the state of point layer in the viewport mode

Clip_455.jpg

2       The point layer is aimed to be frozen in the model mode

Clip_456.jpg

3       This layer is not shown up in the viewport mode despite that fact that it is not frozen in the viewport!

Clip_457.jpg

My issue here is that I need to the viewport mode not to be affected be the model mode regarding the layer properties.

What is the thing I’m missing here?

Best

Jamal

Jamal Numan
Message 4 of 7

Hi,

>> But still the viewport is affected by the state of layers on the model mode

That's why I wrote:

• [...] global properties, they can be set to any value but these are then valid for the complete drawing .... not just for one viewport

>> My issue here is that I need to the viewport mode not to be affected be the model mode regarding the layer properties

The mistake is: for the global properties there is no "model mode"

E.g. changing the global property "Freeze" to frozen means it is frozen everywhere. You can't freeze a layer and have it then visible (set to "no-freeze") in a viewport.

My suggestion is to thaw all layers (and switch them ON, if you use this switch) before you plot. And every viewport has it's VP-Freeze options set correct.

Sorry, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 7

Many thanks Alfred for the prompt answer. Now the behavior is clear!

Right! Everything should be ON before printing!

Best

Jamal

Jamal Numan
Message 6 of 7
awl1l
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi

I believe that I understand how this works. For each viewport (active) one needs to evaluate each layer and decide whether to VP layer-freeze it or not. But once you have done this, as long as globally you don't have further contradicting layer settings, your viewport layer appearance won't change.

However, this seems like a brute force method.  I would hope that there is a solution to this that involves the power of the Layer Manager. Otherwise one has to repeat over and over again the  selection of VP layer freezing for each layer (one at a time), for each viewport in all the Layouts (though once you have done this for all the viewports, you are indeed good to go).

Is it possible to create a saved Layer state that has some state of VP layer freeze settings, go into a new viewport, apply that Layer state (in order to get close to what one might want for VP layer freeze settings), and then tweak the VP freeze layer settings to get the nuance look one wants for that particular viewport?

For example, one could have a VP Layer freeze setting state for "sections" that would be a good first step (though not exactly what I want) for all my section viewports. After applying it with the viewport active, I would then go in a tweak the invididual settings of VP layer freeze for just a handful of layers and arrive at what I want for that viewport. 

thanks,

ART

Message 7 of 7
JamaL9722060
in reply to: awl1l

Many thanks ART. The elaboration you provided is very useful

Best

Jamal

Jamal Numan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report