Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locked layer causes contour label woes

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
troma
1090 Views, 3 Replies

Locked layer causes contour label woes

Just had a strange problem and thought I would share.

I'm working in 2011.  Just labeling some contours in a new drawing, using the 'Multiple' setting.  I found I could only draw one tangent of Contour Label Line.  If I continued, I could click but no labels were created and on finishing the command I could see that those clicks had been ignored.  What gives?

I found that the labels were on the current layer, instead of the layer they're meant to use.

I also realised that my current layer was locked (from the previous task).

Here's something you can test to see if it's the same for you; if the current layer is locked, the contour labels ignore the layer setting that they are meant to use, and come in on the current layer instead.  And you can only draw one tangent's worth of contour labels at a time before finishing the command and restarting.  Solution: make a different layer current or unlock your layer.

But it just made me think: are contour labels generally created on the current layer and then moved to their proper layer?  Is that why it hit a snag: it wasn't permitted to move the object to a different layer because the one it was on was locked?  Any insights out there?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
rkmcswain
in reply to: troma

Does the same thing in C3D 2013 SP1

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 4
troma
in reply to: rkmcswain

Thanks for looking into it. Just 'one of those things' I guess!

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 4 of 4
rkmcswain
in reply to: troma

I added it to my informal list of ISSUES.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report