Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lock section view location

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Smewood
935 Views, 7 Replies

lock section view location

Is there a way to lock the location of your section view after you create them?  I created multiple sheets of section views, but now want to manually move the views to align to new title block constraints and don't want to have to worry about them reverting the their original location.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
IslandGirl83
in reply to: Smewood

I would also like to know this. If anyone has any methods to lock the section view locations so that when updates are run they don't shift back to the orginal point, that would be great. 

Marie 

Message 3 of 8
doni49

If you move your section views and then the update because changes in the surface(s) or other features, they will not revert back to previous locations. I've done this many times in C3D 2012 without having to do anything special to them.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 8
doni49

P. S. When you move the sections, make sure to only select the section views (the grid lines) and NOT the surface lines or any other features.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 5 of 8
IslandGirl83
in reply to: doni49

I am not just talking about the dynamic updates that happen automatically when the surface or other features change. I am talking about when someone clicks update section view layout. When ever I do that any moved sections I created go back to their orginal Array location.  

I am running Civil 3D 2011. I am not sure if this would have changed by 2012. I will be putting a warning in the drawing to hopefully stop someone from doing this layout update, but it is not 100%. 

Also for my specific application I am drawing them with the pipe network as source but I intend to remove it after manually drawing in the pipes and I am afraid when I do that the grids will automatically adjust. They did when I added the pipe network as a source. The reason I am doing this is I do not have RCAP pipes (ARCH) in my cataloge that display correctly in section so I am simply using the network to determine inverts for insertion of a pipe cross section block. 

Marie

Message 6 of 8
IslandGirl83
in reply to: IslandGirl83

Possibly i can avoid the grid changes by changing my settings for elevation to user specified instead of automatic. Still playing with it. 

Message 7 of 8
doni49

Other than moving them to their original locations, what would be the purpose of using this command?

To me, that would be the purpose of such a command.

Don Ireland

Message 8 of 8
IslandGirl83
in reply to: doni49

Probably no other purpose for that command. I am not certain that is the only time they shift. I am trying to proactively look into possible issues. I am new to my company but, noticed in other drawings that the sections had shifted. All the linework and notation on top was no longer correctly lined up with the sections. I thought if there was a lock option it could avoid this issue. I think since there doesnt seem to be that option, my best bet is to create a line for the left and bottom axis of my grids on a non-plot layer. If anything ever does happen to shift them, then I can easily snap them back to that point.

Marie

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report