AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

support
Message 11 of 14 (100 Views)

Re: Location for templates, sheets, etc.

08-22-2013 02:04 PM in reply to: AllenJessup

I figured out the XREF'ing part (still don't know entirely what a DREF is, but I suspect it's drawing)  :smileyhappy:  They don't do a lot of XREF'ing, which I imagine balloon's our drawing sizes....potentially making usability and reliability an issue! 

Either way, this helps me feel better about what I'm asking them to do because it also benefits me as I spend a lot of time setting CAD stations up when people move around, get new PCs, etc.  People like to be able to sit down and go.  And I am absolutly working with our drafters to accomplish this.

Thanks again.  I will add points and accept next week as I have to run.

*Expert Elite*
Jay_B
Message 12 of 14 (95 Views)

08-22-2013 02:23 PM in reply to: support

support wrote:

I figured out the XREF'ing part (still don't know entirely what a DREF is, but I suspect it's drawing)  :smileyhappy:  They don't do a lot of XREF'ing, which I imagine balloon's our drawing sizes....potentially making usability and reliability an issue! 

A Data Shortcut (DREF) is Civil 3d's means of sharing Intelligent Civil 3d Objects in the form of an XML link which is a much smaller/lighter means of referencing compared to an xref. There is a dwg associated with every DREF xml link which is referred to as a Civil 3d Source dwg. (I realize your not a cad user so I'm trying to explain it as generically as possible). And yes the use of Xref's would also help keep file sizes down as well as other benefits such as being able to have different users working on various design components simultaneously.

Jay

C3D 2014 SP2
Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 13 of 14 (84 Views)

08-23-2013 04:57 AM in reply to: support

Jay did a good job of explaining a DREF. You're linking to intelligent objects in another drawing and they can behave intelligently in the drawing they're inserted in. It's like linking to a table in access rather than inserting it in the current database.

The points about bloating drawings by not using Xrefs and Drefs are good. However I mentioned those because they are ways for users to show and work with objects in a drawing without altering the original drawing. So you're getting more than one benefit from including them in your workflow.

Allen Jessup

*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 14 of 14 (74 Views)

08-23-2013 08:15 AM in reply to: support

Also. Whoever is in charge of your CAD workflow might want to read [this] documentation.

Sorry. Wrong link. Now it should be correct.

Allen

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.