Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

locating where text styles are being used within a drawing

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
wbrustle
3057 Views, 18 Replies

locating where text styles are being used within a drawing

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to locate where text styles are located within a drawng. I am creating templates and some text styles are being carried from one template to another when I create them and I would like to delete certain text styles. I have looked around the drawing, but cannot seem to locate them. Any ideas?

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
rl_jackson
in reply to: wbrustle

More than likely, the unwanted text styles are coming from your various C3D Styles, if you import styles and settings from a older template to a new one they come with it, short of going into the individual styles there's no real way to make a global change to remove them.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 19
Jay_B

One possibility is using a lisp for merging text styles.

There's one posted Here

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 4 of 19
Jeff_M

For locating Text Styles used in C3D Styles, there is 3rd party help you could consider.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 5 of 19
wbrustle
in reply to: Jeff_M

ok.....so I tried both loading the lisp and its asking for VBA ? which I have no idea what that is and I tried clicking on the 3rd party link mentioned by Jeff_M, in the previous reply, but that was asking me to type on the command line "CivilStyleproperties" and it does not accept as a command.

Message 6 of 19
Jeff_M

@wbrustle wrote:

I tried clicking on the 3rd party link mentioned by Jeff_M, in the previous reply, but that was asking me to type on the command line "CivilStyleproperties" and it does not accept as a command.

That Help file is describing a command available in the Sincpac C3D add-on package (i.e 3rd party program) so unless you have downloaded, installed, and activated it you won't have that command available.

EESignature
Message 7 of 19
troma

To use the third party command you have to buy and install the third party application.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 8 of 19
Jeff_M
in reply to: troma

@troma wrote:
To use the third party command you have to buy and install the third party application.

Or request a code for a 28 day trial, which costs nothing.

EESignature
Message 9 of 19
wbrustle
in reply to: Jeff_M

OK.....thanks

Message 10 of 19
IanMcClain

Assuming you are just talking about text styles and not label styles, they can be deleted using the "purge" command as long as they are not in use or referenced by another style, multi-leader, etc.

If you have styles that call them try deleting or editing those styles first. That can be a lengthy process though, which is probably why you asked...

Ian McClain
Message 11 of 19
wbrustle
in reply to: IanMcClain

I have tried searchig the drawing for some of the styles, but cannot seem to locate certain text styles and I know somewhere in my drawing they are being used because I cannot purge them. I just can't seem to find a few, but it looks like after this discussion group there is no real easy way to locate them within a drawing besides searching the entire drawing for them myself so I can delete them and then purge.

Message 12 of 19
rkmcswain

Try this.

While in the drawing, go to the Settings tab in your prospector.

Right-click on the drawing name, and choose "Edit Label Style Defaults"

Inside that dialog, expand the "Label" section.

On the "Text Style" line, is there a down arrow in the "Child Override" column?

If so, left click on it (that will place a red "x" on top of the arrow), then press Apply.

Now you have just cleared all style overrides from child styles and all label styles in the drawing are now set to the text style listed in the "Value" column.

Now see if you can purge any of the other styles...

I'm not saying this brute force method is the right way to go, but it will at least tell you if you have a wide variety of styles in use - within the C3D label styles.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 13 of 19
wbrustle
in reply to: rkmcswain

ok I will give it a try...thank you to everyone for thier replies!

Message 14 of 19
YBINET

I know this is old but you can use the add in app below and also the purge command can usually show you where a layer is being used.

This worked for me on most of the layers.

https://apps.autodesk.com/CIV3D/en/Detail/Index?id=8629213286347851577&ln=en&os=Win32_64

Message 15 of 19
andrewpuller3811
in reply to: YBINET

You will find that the inbuilt purge command has had a huge upgrade in 2021 and now has the ability to show where the text styles, and anything else, is being used.

For Autocad objects, you can also select the object straight from the purge dialogue.

To use this functionality -

Run the purge command

Click on the Find Non-Purgeable Items button at the top of the dialogue.

Click on the item you want to purge - the details panel will show how many times it is being used, what object is being used in, including limited on Civil 3d usage locations - e.g. a text style might show as beng used in AECC_PROFILE_VIEW_STYLE  five times, but does not show which style.

To select Autocad objects using the style scroll down in the Details pane until you see an icon of a blue square with a magnifying glass and click that icon

See attached screen shots.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 16 of 19
wbrustle
in reply to: andrewpuller3811

thank you for the responses......we are going to download the add-on that was suggested for now.....we are using 2108, so I will be looking forward to being able to use the 2021 version at some point in the near future.

Message 17 of 19
ytzvib
in reply to: andrewpuller3811

@andrewpuller3811 

The purge is great but it doesn't always work such as the attached screenshot I have no idea where it is referring to.

Message 18 of 19
zsharp
in reply to: ytzvib

I agree. some of the aecc names via the purge dialogue are helpful but I have the same issue with some.

Like your screen capture I also have no idea what AECC_LABEL_COLLECTOR_STYLE is.

Anybody else know?

Message 19 of 19
kovacsv1

Hi,

the fastest way we found for this is to use the DUMPSTYLESANDSETTINGS command, and locate the instances of the layer/style etc. in the text file. Everything listed is under the C3D style they are used in.

kovacsv1_0-1684489429341.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report