Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live Maps Work Flow?

78 REPLIES 78
Message 1 of 79
Joe-Bouza
909 Views, 78 Replies

Live Maps Work Flow?

I'm embarrased to ask but cant find it in help. What is the Work flow to get a map int civil3d?

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

78 REPLIES 78
Message 21 of 79
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Pointdump

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 22 of 79
Jay_B
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Brian Hailey outlines the steps in his blog for adding the Geolocation ribbon tab to 2014 Here.

It's quite a bit different than in 2015.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 23 of 79
Pointdump
in reply to: Jay_B

Jay,

"It's quite a bit different than in 2015."

Well, I guess it's different. I hadn't loaded the GeoLocation Tab in 2014. (I thought the Bing Maps Thing was peculiar to 2015.) Thanks for the link. And hats off to Brian.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 24 of 79
Pointdump

Joe,

I'll try this out in 2014(Thanks for the links, Jay!) later on today, but for now, here's the flow in 2015:

1. Set Coordinate System. Mui Importante.
2. Put something, anything, in your drawing at the location you want your map. (Thank you, Murph!)

3. GeoLocation >> Online Map >> Choose Aerial, Road, or Hybrid.

Bing1.png

4. Agree to Terms/sign in with Autodesk 360.

Bing2.png

4. Bing automatically brings in your map scaled to your coordinate system.

Bing3.png

I've tried it in three different coordinate systems in two states, and it just seems to know what to do.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 25 of 79
Murph_Map

Joe,

Try to sign out of A360, restart Civil3D and try again with out signing in to A360 first.

You might have the same issue Jay did with signing in/out and logged into the forums. 

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 26 of 79
Pointdump

Joe,

I used Jay's link to Brian's excellent instructions to put the GeoLocation Tab on 2014. It worked great! Now I've got Bing Live Maps in both 2014 and 2015. I'm drunk with power!

Attempt8.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 27 of 79
jggerth

Whatever you do with geomaps, take it with a grain of salt...  I'm used to a 2 to 20 ft variance between georeferenced drawings on state plane and Bing imagery brought in via geomaps,  but two _miles_ in not unknown, and this AM I think I set a new record -- 21.5 miles between the real location and the image!

Supposed to have been fixed in 2015... but not in c3d 2014 sp1 or sp2

Message 28 of 79
Joe-Bouza

Arrrrgh 😞
is A360 and 360 the same thing?
I followed Brian's instructions and have the ribbon. my c3d settings have a coord system. I added some georeferenced data. when I type GEOGRAPHICLOCATION I do not get the 360 map to choose a location?
What is the sign in procedure? Currently I only know to check the check boxes on the sinc panel.

I'm sure we will get there.

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 29 of 79
Murph_Map

@Joe-Bouza wrote:
Arrrrgh 😞
is A360 and 360 the same thing?
I followed Brian's instructions and have the ribbon. my c3d settings have a coord system. I added some georeferenced data. when I type GEOGRAPHICLOCATION I do not get the 360 map to choose a location?
What is the sign in procedure? Currently I only know to check the check boxes on the sinc panel.

I'm sure we will get there.

Think of it as the same as congress, you have the House then you have the Senate. You have the part of Autocad 360 that lets you upload dwgs and files to the cloud & share with whoever you want, then you have the AutoCAD 360 maps server. Two different entities but make up the whole AutoCAD360 experience.  Getting either to work as you want is .......... well like Congress. 

When you installed and signed up for AutoCAD 360 if you didn't use the same login name as you do with the rest of the online autocad stuff, forums, subcribtion site, & etc. you are asking for trouble. All I can say is good luck and keep trying. 

Murph
Message 30 of 79
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Murph_Map

Thanks. Same. I opened an SR before I left today.

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 31 of 79
Joe-Bouza

And here is the update.

I got the GEO.... Ribbon, and still no map.

did a repair on 360 and the map came in but my system was crushed all 12 gb of physical memory eaten.

a few more repairs to c3d and autocad and the map came in with minimal resourse damage. However: thats an offset of over 210 miles.

upshot: don't use 2014. wait for 2015

bing off.png

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 32 of 79
Pointdump

Joe,

I'm able to use the maps without problem in 2014. But Live Maps is definitely a memory hog in both 2014 and 2015. I haven't yet had any 210-mile problems, though. Mostly, it's right on the chile.

So, why aren't you running 2015? Didn't we have this conversation already?   SmileyWink.gif

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 33 of 79
Joe-Bouza

@Pointdump wrote:

Joe,

I'm able to use the maps without problem in 2014. But Live Maps is definitely a memory hog in both 2014 and 2015. I haven't yet had any 210-mile problems, though. Mostly, it's right on the chile.

So, why aren't you running 2015? Didn't we have this conversation already?   SmileyWink.gif

Dave

Hello Dave
There's a difference? this gets more confusing by the second 🙂
Just installed 2015 and the situation has gotten WORSE! The same shp file and xref that are georefed in 2014 now do no align with each othe in 2015. And the Bing map doesn't align with either AND now its off by 1000 mile easy. Its getting uglier by the second.
I'm sure down the road I'll realize I have been doing something wrong but I cannot determine what that may be, at this time. It seems rather straight forward:
1. log into 360
2. bring in some georefed data
3.GEOGRAPHICLOCATION>> enter address>> drop pin (coords & Time zone :CHECK - and it coincides with my c3d dwt settings)
4. turn aerial on.
5. No linyup?
I'm yeller! (can blame me?)
 I am starting to prepare. I have to rollout ISDP, BDSP, BDSS, LT, ATV for like 35 work stations and like to be sure of my configurations before I find myself visiting every cubical in the building. 

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 34 of 79
Pointdump

Joe,

Try 2, 3, 1.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 35 of 79
Joe-Bouza

I will but

How can I do 3 with out 1?

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 36 of 79
Pointdump

Joe,

Don't sign into 360 until it asks you to. Put something, anything in your drawing at about where you want your map. Primero importante! Then you can hit the gas, thusly:

Bing1.png

At that point it'll beg you to sign in:

Bing2.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 37 of 79
Joe-Bouza

Ok ! let you know Monday.

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 38 of 79
Murph_Map

Also for number 3 use the GEOMAP coomand (at command line) instead of the geolocation command as long as you have coordinate system assigned and an object in the dwg. 

Murph
Message 39 of 79
Murph_Map

Just to expand a little on my suggestion(s) The Geographiclocation (or geolocataion as I call it) is a vanilla Autocad command. It allows you to select a point in the dwg and assign a lat/lon or state plane coordinate to it from picking on a map (Bing Map) As civil designers know picking a point is about as accurate as picking your (fill in your body part) and pulling out gold nuggets. It also assigns a coordinate system to the dwg  from those availalbe to vanilla Autocad. No I don't have a copy of vanilla cad to test on but I believe the CS available to plain cad is limited compared to C3D/Map3D. So in doing that you take a chance of overriding your assigned CS if you set one up in your dwt files or assigned to the dwg you are working in or transposing/converting points from one system to another. 

This is all MHO and keep in mind for the past 2-3 years I've been working as a grease monkey more than a map guru and may be wrong. The only command I use for using the Bing Maps is GEOMAP, the options to display the roads, aerials or hybrid andd turn them off is all there. 

Murph
Message 40 of 79
Joe-Bouza

Hello Murph

to keep it straigh imy mind :

My 1,2,3

or Dave's 2, 3, 1?

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report