Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking a dwg to annother dwg for updating styles and layers

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
RCBmstg007
393 Views, 8 Replies

Linking a dwg to annother dwg for updating styles and layers

I am using Civil3D 2013. I was wondering if there was a way to link your dwg to a master dwg file? For example, if i were to copy the dwg into folder A and copy a dwg into folder B. I would then update the master dwg with either a layer color change or linetype or add a layer / label etc, could those changes from the master be (linked) or a child or the parent master dwg? Or does this work with dwts?

Thanks for the feed back.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Sounds like you may be coming from the MicroStation world where you have dgn libraries to contain symbology definitions instead of everything being stored in your design file.

I've found no equivalent in the Autodesk world (would be great if they could implement it!)

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer
Message 3 of 9
jmayo-EE
in reply to: RCBmstg007

The ImportStylesAndSettings command can help port new and edited styles back into your template and from your template to a working file.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 4 of 9
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Hi John

When you say port back to template do you mean open the template and bring in from another file? I don't see an option to push out to file. Also, I tried an experiment and created a blank dwg with the Cadet then use the the ImportStylesandSetting; the check box for settings was selected but none of the ambient setting came with the style?

2012: Am I missing something?

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 9
troma
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joe, have a look at the comments from Matt here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Upgrading-from-09-to-13/m-p/3767175

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 6 of 9
RCBmstg007
in reply to: troma

No, you are not missing anything, I think you nailed it on the head. It would be nice to link all the settings , layers etc, to one master dwg.

Message 7 of 9
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: troma

Thanks

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
jmayo-EE
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Hey Joe.

I don't really use the command for settings. I use it for moving styles into a file. Either a working file or my template.

Sorry if I got you thinking it will push styles out but we know that doesn't happen. Yes the command could use improvement but if you just want to move a few styles I find it faster than opening a file then draging and dropping.

Relating to another post we have both commented on, I have a hunch that this command is the culprit in the labels changing text styles issue. Simialer to Matt I'll give a 'user beware', better yet a 'user be informed' warning. 

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
jmayo-EE
in reply to: RCBmstg007

Yes it would be real nice to have a one stop shop for proting this stuff. Most of my new styles are created in working files as need dictates. How nice would it be to be able to right click on any object or label style and see a comand like, 'Push Style to Template'.

As for the layers, text styles, dimension styles, bloocks/symbols, etc. One of what I am sure is  many solutions is to place these objects into a simple AutoCAD template file w/o any civil 3d styles or settings. This template can be inserted into any file as a block to get the AutoCAD stuff it may be missing. Following Autodesk Best Practices' this should be rare since all C3D files should start with the C3D template which should also have these AutoCAD objects/settings.

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report