Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linework Processing with no matching codework

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
owenmull
619 Views, 9 Replies

Linework Processing with no matching codework

Any ideas?

I have survey data that I have set up for processing linework via SDB. I have Desc Keyset, Figure Prefix Databases, etc set up to handle my data and assign figures to various layers, styles, etc etc,

What I am trying to figure out is to get C3D to take a string of points that the code does not match the FPD or DKS, and get it to process the linework on a default layer. In the past I believe C3D has done this, placing linework on Layer 0 with Figure Style = Standard.

For example, I have a Edge of Road breakline coded as 'EDR1' and another coded 'EDR2'. I do not have these in the FPD or Keyset.

Is there any way to get C3D to draw these lineworks that dont match the FPD? I seem to recall doing this in the past, but cant recall how.

Also, yes, I know we should be using the same codes, and etc etc, but our survey team doesnt understand, so every piece of data I recieve is coded differently.

I just wonder if there is a way to get it to draw linework it doesnt recognize with the FPD or DKS and put on a default layer and style.

Thanks!

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit

Civil 3D 2017
IanMcClain
in reply to: owenmull

If you are using the OOTB figure codes, you should be able to force any code to draw survey figures by adding a "B" in the description of the first codeed point before or after the code (ie. "B EDR1" or "EDR1 B"). If the code is not in the figure prefix library, it won't get assigned a layer or style and will instead be set to layer 0 and standard, or whatever the defualts have been changed to.

Most data collectors and field software have an option to load a code file, usually a simple txt file with all your description and figure codes. A sample is attached. This makes it easier to code in the field and know that it will match a code that is being used by either the descripint key or figure library. And if the code doesn't match... there will be questions. Most field guys hate questions.

Regards,

Ian McClain
Message 3 of 10
owenmull
in reply to: IanMcClain

Thanks for the reply.

I am very well versed in this process, and I understand how all that works. In an ideal world, our surveyors use the same codes, everytime. You can use 'B' and 'E' but I also like to just number the different lineworks rather than using the B and E convention. C3D treats both the same. ie C3D treats

BKLS B

BKLS

BKLS

BKLS E

the same as

BKLS1

BKLS1

BKLS1

BKLS1

I am just looking for a way to force C3D to draw linework for something it doesn't have a FPD match for. I can set my Keyset up with 1,000 entries and iterations of codes, but dont want to add 1,000 different FPD definitions that 999 of them use the same style, layer, etc. etc.

Any ideas?

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit

Civil 3D 2017

If BKLS is in your figure prefix library it should recognize BKLS# (# being any number) as the same. As long as the "Process linework code set" button is checked when you import your file to the survey database, you should be off and running with linework.

If said button is not checked, C3D will need a B code to turn on the linework for that code. Editing the codes to add a B for the first point in the series of points you want may be your answer.

There may be cases where you don't want this button checked; for instance, if all the curb shots were coded as simply TC and the crew didn't distinguish one side of the street from the other.

Ian McClain
Message 5 of 10
owenmull

I don't think you are understanding what it is I am after. Let me put it another way.

Yes, I have points sequentially coded as BKLS1, BKLS2, BKLS3, etc etc. In the FPD, I have a style called BKLS, which they all use, and they draw upon import. 

What I am after, is, say I have a string of sequential points coded EDGEROAD1, but I dont have anything in my FPD for EDGEROAD.

Id like C3D if possible to connect all sequential points EDGEROAD1, EDGEROAD2, etc etc. with default figures on default layers, to be manipulated by me.

I realize that I can simply add EDGEROAD to my FPD, define a Figure Style, re-process linework, etc etc. No big deal when I only have one, maybe two to add. Big deal when I have multiple to add. Plus, adding what Ive done to my template.

What Im getting at is, it doesnt make sense in the end to have several upon several Figure Prefix definitions that are all set to display the exact same, based upon variation of surveyor point coding, and the current limitations of the software.

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit

Civil 3D 2017

I think I do understand, however, there are only two ways C3D understands to start linework. One is the figure prefix library. The other is the B code.

I am suggesting you add the B code for the first point in a series in your data in lieu of adding codes to the figure prefix library. Have you tried this?

Ian McClain
Message 7 of 10
owenmull

Yes, I do this all the time. Not a big deal when you have a relatively small dataset, but when you have thousands of points to sift through, and lots of editing and re-editing the point file to add 'B' and 'E' to data, it can get tedious.

It can get tedious adding FPD definitions and styles, too.

I know all the workarounds, I was just wondering if anyone out there had a method besides altering the point file or adding definitions to C3D.

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit

Civil 3D 2017

The only 2 built-in methods have already been pointed out. That's hoiw it's done out of the box. Now, if you can find a 3rd party app to do it, that's a bonus. I'm sure there's one out there, but I'm not in a position currently to find one.

I suppose your other OOTB option is the 'PN transparent commend, but all of those points need to be sequential with no other points in between.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 9 of 10
cbaildon001
in reply to: mathewkol

If I understand you correctly, your issue is when the surveyor forgets to put Begin commands at the start of figures and point codes are not always in the Figure Prefix Database?

Sorry, not much help but you don't need the E(nd) command to end figures, that might save a bit of work. I've never used it.

As long as you put a B at the start of a new figure it will automatically stop it at the last point.

FL B

FL

FL

FL B

FL

Caleb Baildon
Senior Surveyor
Opus International Consultants Ltd
Wellington, New Zealand
Civil3D 2015 - Windows10
Message 10 of 10
IanMcClain
in reply to: cbaildon001

You can also right click a survey point (while the survey database is open) and choose "Edit survey point properties". A window comes up that lets you edit the name and description of the point selected. After you hit ok you can pick an additional point to edit, or enter/returen to finish. A dialogue box will then ask if you want to reprocess linework, if you choose yes and added a linework code such as B, a survey figure will be generated.

This is faster than editing the source file and re-importing, however, if you re-import the source file later these edits in the survey database will be overwritten and lost. 

Ian McClain

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report