Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lineweight problem in Autocad Civil 3D 2014

36 REPLIES 36
Message 1 of 37
andycaldwell3731
1662 Views, 36 Replies

lineweight problem in Autocad Civil 3D 2014

I have a drawing where I change the Lineweight to be 0.60mm. (The file is a reference). When I reload the reference it looks right then I do a REGENALL and it changes back to the original lineweight default.

The weird thing is that it does this on 3 computers in my office but on certain computers using the same Autocad Civil 3D 2014 it works fine.

Any Ideas on how to fix this??

36 REPLIES 36
Message 21 of 37
btillett
in reply to: Cadguru42

Undock the navbar from the steeringweel, remove all but one thing (I left the pan)... This makes the navbar as small as possible, then move it to the far left bottom of your screen.  It still prints, but not as noticeable.

Boris
Message 22 of 37

Just adding fuel to the fire here.  Same problem only with lines on a specific layer within a specific XREF file.  When working within the design base file, the lineweight for a specific layer (water line) displays and plots correctly.  However, when that design base drawing is XREF'd into another file (for the exhibit sheet) the water line does not plot using the given lineweights.  I have changed the lineweight for the layer in the design base, saved the drawing and reloaded it with no change.  When I xref the base file into a new sheet drawing I get the same results.  There are no viewport overides.  I have tried turning off visretain and reloading the XREF with no luck.  These are only polylines with no width but lines react the same way on that layer.

I have also noticed that when I first open the exhibit file with the xref's in it, the lineweight displays correctly.  As soon as I regen the exhibit drawing, the lineweight disappears.  (Screen captures attached.  Water line is horizontal and blue.)  Another file is also XREF'd into this sheet and has linework on the same layer (water line).  The second XREF line displays and plots correctly (vertical blue line on the left).

Moving the XREF's off of Layer 0 does not change the problem.

JF Engineering, PLLC
Civil3D, Current/Win 10 Pro
MSI MPG X570/AMD Ryzen 5 3.6 GHz
EVGA GTX 1650, 4GB
1TB Samsung 970 M.2
16 GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM
2x ViewSonic VX2458 24in Monitors
Message 23 of 37
btillett
in reply to: jfengineering

They can not be on same layer if they are in different files, layers would be xref1|water line, and xref2|water line, but I would not focus on that.  It seems to be a line type issue, are all entities set to linetype by layer, and is the line type the same?  You might have to reload the linetype in the base dwg your are Xrefing into... and then there is allways the slim chance that a recover and purge on the offending xref file might help.  I would have to have the files or more info to say for sure.

Boris
Message 24 of 37
jfengineering
in reply to: btillett

@btillett wrote:

They can not be on same layer if they are in different files, layers would be xref1|water line, and xref2|water line, but I would not focus on that.  It seems to be a line type issue, are all entities set to linetype by layer, and is the line type the same?  You might have to reload the linetype in the base dwg your are Xrefing into... and then there is allways the slim chance that a recover and purge on the offending xref file might help.  I would have to have the files or more info to say for sure.

Good point, the two lines are not on the same layer as they are in two differrent files / XREF's.  Poor choice of words on my part.

The entities are are set to bylayer for linetype and color.  The layer linetype for both layers is set to continuous.  The linewidth is set to 0.70mm in all files and viewport overides (are not set).  I have run a recover on all 3 files with no errors.

And to further clarify the regen issue - As I was playing around with the exhibit file, that has the other bases referenced into it, I noted that:

1) After opening the file and while in paperspace I could switch to modelspace and REGEN with no change. 

2) I could also REGEN while in paperspace with no change (lineweights displaying properly). 

3) As soon as I REGENALL, the lineweight issue appears.

Not sure if the files will upload or not due to size, but the problem shows up in the "01 Realign Exhibit.dwg" file.

JF Engineering, PLLC
EVGA GTX 1650, 4GB
1TB Samsung 970 M.2
16 GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM
Message 25 of 37

...try this again.  This file has the lineweight display problem.

JF Engineering, PLLC
EVGA GTX 1650, 4GB
1TB Samsung 970 M.2
16 GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM
Message 26 of 37

....this file has the lines that are displaying incorrectly when XREF'd.  (On layer C-WATR-LINE-N and C-ROAD-ROW-N)

JF Engineering, PLLC
EVGA GTX 1650, 4GB
1TB Samsung 970 M.2
16 GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM
Message 27 of 37

....this file has the linework that does not have problem when XREF'd.  (On layer C-WATR-LINE-N and C-ROAD-ROW-N)

JF Engineering, PLLC
EVGA GTX 1650, 4GB
1TB Samsung 970 M.2
16 GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM
Message 28 of 37
btillett
in reply to: jfengineering

I cannot duplicate the error. See attached screenshot.  The only thing I saw that might, but should not cause a problem is that your xrefs xref each other. ComAve xrefs KahlKorn and KahlKorn xrefs ComAve, and then the Exhibit xrefs them both.  You might want to detach them from each other and then xref them individually into the exhibit and see if you still have the issue. Try using attach instead of overlay for an attachment type.  It is hard to diagnose when I cannot duplicate.

This is a strange one, do you have another computer you can try?

Boris

Boris
Message 29 of 37
btillett
in reply to: Cadguru42

NAVBAR Plotting workaround.  I plot to PDFs with layers, so I checked to see what layer the NAVBAR plots to, and it plots to the Layer you have your Xref on.  I turned off that layer on the PDF and I can plot the PDF without the NAVEBAR AND WITH LINEWIDTHS.  We use attach not overlay (Xref type) and have any sub xrefs in our main Xref (base.dwg) which we xref into our pspace dwgs to setup our layout tabs.  So we only have one layer to turn off in the PDF, if you have multiple xrefs xrefed on multiple layer I am not sure how that will change things.  I am not sure if the generic pdf readers have the ability to turn off the layers, but the Adobe reader is free and works.

Boris
Message 30 of 37
lambertb

Is this still true because I think that is my problem... Wow.

How did you find the level your navbar prints on? Could we set it to a non printed layer?

Thanks.

C3D 2022 and 2024
Message 31 of 37
btillett
in reply to: lambertb

Yes, it is still true.  I found the layer by publishing to a PDF.  If you use the built in publish (dwg to pdf) and have layer information turned on you can then "freeze" layers in the pdf.  I found the layer just by luck.  I have tried it since then and it was not so easy.  The layer it published to had other line work on it. I had multiple xrefs that time.  I have not had the time to verify, that if you only have one xref or if all your xrefs are on one layer, it will plot to the layer the xrefs are set to.  If that is the case, then “freezing” that layer on the PDF does not “turn anything off” accept the navbar.  I have been meaning to test this further, if you or anyone reading this tests it further and we can determine the layer it publishes to, or somehow set the layer it will publish to, it would make a good work around.  I almost always publish to a pdf and then plot from the pdf, so this work around would work great for me.

Boris
Message 32 of 37
btillett
in reply to: andycaldwell3731

For those of you that none of the "Fixes" (SP2, View Cube Hot Fix, etc...) for this problem are working... You probably have the same issue we had at our company.  If you installed Civil 3D as a suite and have a Geotechics installed (see menu bar at top of Civil 3D) there is a fix.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-civil-3d/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticle...

Boris
Message 33 of 37
Jay_B

@btillett wrote:

For those of you that none of the "Fixes" (SP2, View Cube Hot Fix, etc...) for this problem are working... You probably have the same issue we had at our company.  If you installed Civil 3D as a suite and have a Geotechics installed (see menu bar at top of Civil 3D) there is a fix.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-civil-3d/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticle...

To clarify, are you saying that merely installing 2014 Service Pack 2 does NOT fix this issue as claimed in the Service Pack 2 Readme ?

From readme file:

"An issue has been resolved  where turning off the navigation bar and ViewCube would result in lineweights not being applied properly during plotting for certain AutoCAD Civil 3D objects."

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 34 of 37
btillett
in reply to: Jay_B

"To clarify, are you saying that merely installing 2014 Service Pack 2 does NOT fix this issue as claimed in the Service Pack 2 Readme ?"

You seemed to have interperted the post correctly. I assume it fixes an issue with the same symtoms on some machines that do not have the old Geotechics module installed.  Apparently there are a few issues that can result in the same symtoms.  We installed SP2 on machines in our company and yes it did NOT fix this issue as claimed in the Service Pack 2 Readme.

Boris
Message 35 of 37
Jay_B

Thanks, we just started installing SP2 here and in very limited testing we have found the same to be true.

The profile grid was plotting very faint until the Navbar was turned on.

Next we're going to update the Geotechnical Module version as suggested in the link you posted, if still

no change we'll uninstall the Geotechnical Module and test again.

I'll report back here what we find with that.

Running Autodesk Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2014.

My machine doesn't seem to have the problem but many around here do.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 36 of 37
btillett

And when the NAVBAR is turned on it plots, or publishes to PR-VIEW layer in pdfs. If your machine does not have this issue and others in your office do, check to see if the Geotechnical Module version is the same.  If the ones with the issue (persisting symptoms) have an older version of the Geotechnical Module that will be the problem.

Boris
Message 37 of 37
Jay_B

We just installed the latest version of the 2014 Geotechnical Module on a machine which we first installed SP2 on and the combination of these 2 items DOES seem to have fixed the plotting lineweight issue.

The Navbar can now be left off when plotting.

@btillett Thanks for Posting this related Knowledge Network link as it seems to have solved the issue for us.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report