Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linetype scaling by linetype

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
BWYarger
530 Views, 3 Replies

Linetype scaling by linetype

I have a drawing with layouts at 1"=20, 1"=30' and 1"=50'.  Normally I set all of my linetypes to appear correctly in model space, and don't use the paperspace units for scaling.  This works good enough since my linetypes are still readable at 1"=50', but not too big at 1"=20'. 

I got a drawing from a prime that uses linetype scaling for all of their various size viewports.  The problem is that I am still using my linetype for roadway dashed pavement markings were the paint is 10 ft and the gap is 30 ft.  Using the paperspace units for scaling messes my my various viewports since I have to inverse scale them for the one viewport at 1"=20', and then the rest of the viewports (1=30, 1=50) are messed up.

So far the only way I have found to work around this is to replace all of the primes linetypes, but this becomes a problem every time they update an xref file.  Is there anyway to set a linetype not to use the paperspace units for scaling for just one linetype, but to do it for all the rest? 

I guess the other workarounds would be just to do everything at 1"=30", but that adds a bunch of sheets for no other reason than the pavement marking skips, or to individually draw the dashes as single 10 foot long lines and arcs...

Brad
LT, C3D 2005 - 2024
Windows XP, Vista, 7, 10, 11
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: BWYarger

30 scale eeygads!

Perhaps making a couple .lin files to load 20, 30 40, 50 etc for you road line types?

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 3 of 4
BWYarger
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Working late I see...  you must want to get everything finished before the world ends tomorrow.  I am just the opposite; I am not doing the dishes until Saturday in case the Mayans were right!  On the other hand, I have finished my Christmas shopping.

I thought of the various linetypes to switch out by viewport after I made the post.  Is this how others address the issue?

Brad
LT, C3D 2005 - 2024
Windows XP, Vista, 7, 10, 11
Message 4 of 4
C3D_TomR
in reply to: BWYarger

I create an alignment for the centerline of the dash stripe then I apply a label style that places a block that will be 10' long every 40'. The blocks are rotated to the alignment and the alignment segments are in a no plot layer so they are visible but don't plot. Only the dashes (blocks) will plot. If there will be several scales used, I'll explode the label so that it becomes a block. Then if changes are required, I delete the current block tha includes the dashes, edit the alignment as necessary, then apply the saved label set to create the dashes again. Exploding to get a block is the final step if using the mulitple scales again.

This method also works for placing barrels/barriers on traffic control plans and bollards along a roadway. Just apply the appropriate label set then explode twice to get the barrels or bollards to be a block with a fixed or annotative scale as needed.

Tom Richardson

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature
Autodesk Certified Professional in Civil 3D for Infrastructure Design
AutoCAD Certified Professional
------------------------------------
Autodesk AEC Community Blog
Crossing the line with Civil 3D
Twitter | LinkedIn
------------------------------------
Austin CAD User Group Resources
Blog | Discord | LinkedIn

Autodesk Group Network Leader

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report