Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lines by bearing input

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
willpyle7693
18330 Views, 10 Replies

Lines by bearing input

when trying to input the bearing in degrees minutes and seconds I have to input (for example) 89%%d49'38". how do i change it so i can input ddmmss?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
tcorey
in reply to: willpyle7693

This depends on which routine you're using to draw the line. Using just AutoCAD commands, you're doing it the right way. Civil 3D makes it easier.

After you start the line command, pick the start point and then at the Next Point prompt, type 'bd <enter> -- include the apostrophe. Civil 3D will prompt for quadrant (1-4), then Bearing and then distance. Bearing can be input as 45.4545 to mean 45 deg 45 min 45 sec.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 11
randyc
in reply to: tcorey

As an alternate method, go to the Ribbon, select the Home tab and find the Line button on the "Draw" palette.  From the menu, select "Create Line by Bearing".  You will be prompted for your quadrant, bearing and distance (as willpyle7693 instructed above).  One further note, if your bearing has decimal seconds (i.e., 39D 45' 28.72") you may enter the decimal portion like so: 39.452872.

Message 4 of 11
Chasethewind
in reply to: willpyle7693

I think you are after.

Drawing Settings  ---> Ambient Settings ---> Direction

Message 5 of 11
willpyle7693
in reply to: Chasethewind

Forgive me, but where do you find that drawing settings box?

Message 6 of 11
willpyle7693

nevermind i found it thanks

Message 7 of 11
wbrandon

THANK YOU!!!
Message 8 of 11
kevindoyle912
in reply to: tcorey

I am going to be starting with an engineering firm in July working with Line & Bearing.  I haven't used CAD too much and it has been a while since I have.  Any good suggestions as a good starting point?  By starting point I mean can anyone point me to some tutorials.  The nature of my work will be with surveying.  I will go out and collect data using a total station and bringing that data into CAD.  Please help! Man Surprised

Spoiler

Thank you!

Message 9 of 11
rl_jackson
in reply to: kevindoyle912

Welcome to the Forums @kevindoyle912

That is actually a pretty tall question when it comes to C3D, and it really depends on what and how much the firm your working with has things set up.

You could download the latest version of C3D as a trial for 30 days, to get yourself familiar with things. Versions 13-16 have not changed a great deal and the only real change with 17 from your prospective is there not backwards compatible. There are numerous tutorials that come with the software.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 11
kevindoyle912
in reply to: rl_jackson

I have the full version of AutoDesk 17.  Brand spanking new. Full access.  

I hope this helps...

I was advised to check out these sites regarding surveying in general: ctsurveyors.org and malsce.org.

But I just want to know how to create a shape using lines with the bearing command essentially. 

Thank you for your reply @rl_jackson

Message 11 of 11
rl_jackson
in reply to: kevindoyle912

Civil 3D is the version that does the Line by Bearing, that's what you would need just using plain Autocad, you;ll have to do the @dist stuff.....

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report