Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Segment Label Anchor Point

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
bcschwenn
1644 Views, 22 Replies

Line Segment Label Anchor Point

I am trying to create surface elevation labels along a polyline and I am having an issue with the label anchor point.  I have created a line label style that uses a reference text to produce the elevation from a specified surface, however when I insert the label the default anchor point for the label is in the center of the line segment and that is where the reference text is taking the surface elevation.  I am looking for the elevation of the surface at the start of each line segment, and I do not know how I can make it stop defaulting to the center of the line segment.

Attached is an overview of what my labels look like, where the anchor point is, and the layout properties within my label style.

Thanks for any help with this, I am using C3D 2012.

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
sjg
Advisor
in reply to: bcschwenn

Look at your pic showing the label settings, this is something I do frequently and not realize you actually might be modifying the Label Tag component and not the reference text component.
Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
Message 3 of 23
bcschwenn
in reply to: sjg

Sorry for the mistake, I took a capture of the wrong component.  Attached is the updated capture showing my Reference Text settings.

Message 4 of 23
Joe-Bouza

can you post the style?

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 5 of 23
BrianHailey

Using the "Add Multiple" option when labling linework, there is no way to change where the label is attached to the line. If you have only a handfull, you could probably use the add single option. Using this option wherever you select the line to lable it, that's where the label is placed on the line.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 6 of 23
jmayo-EE

You need to add a block to the label. Attach that to the feature and then attach the ref txt to the block. Here is one that you can slide up and down the line and get the elv at that point and one for start and one for end. Curve lbls also in there. You may fine it faster to assign elevation to the fline and use those elv's in the label forgoing the whole ref' txt and possibly losing the surface link. Exampleas attached. Green FLine lbls use fline elv's. Magenta line has ref txt lbls.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 7 of 23
jmayo-EE
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Dang it.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 8 of 23
BrianHailey

John,

That label works great but unfortunately, it labels the elevations of the lines. I believe the OP wants label the elevation of the surface using reference text and not the elevation of the line. As far as I know, the surface reference text will only get the elevation of the surface at the label location and you can't tell it to get the surface elevation at the beginning or end.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 9 of 23
BrianHailey

bcschwenn,

What is the purpose of this label? Perhaps there is another way of accomplishing what you need.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 10 of 23
jmayo-EE
in reply to: BrianHailey

The labels on the magenta line are ref txt surf elev's. Sorry I forgot to mention that you need to slide the grip at the center of the to the end or start point as required.

I suggested assigning elev's from the surface to the line to save time and gave examples of each label type required.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 11 of 23
Joe-Bouza

I would convert the line to FL then the lables style is easySmiley Wink

Also depending on the magnitude I might just snap surface lables to the end points.

Or profile the ep and use alignment lable style

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 12 of 23
jmayo-EE
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

"I would convert the line to FL then the lables style is easy"

Yeah this is nice for smaller projects. With roadwork, pipe lines or larger projects I like a hidden alignment with ref labels but you need to be careful not to lose links as well. You need to know a couple of hard to find secrets to re-assign alg srf ref labels quickly. 

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 13 of 23
BrianHailey

@Anonymous wrote:

The labels on the magenta line are ref txt surf elev's. Sorry I forgot to mention that you need to slide the grip at the center of the to the end or start point as required.

John,

That label style scares me. It looks like the text is labeling the elevation of the end but it doesn't necessarily mean that it is. It could be labeling anything between the beggining and end of the line. I would much rather have the text attached to the label location so I can be certain of what exactly is being labeled. This, of course, is my personal opinion.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 14 of 23
Joe-Bouza

Not alignment surface lables; profile grade labels via code set labels for pgl

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 15 of 23
jmayo-EE
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Yet another way!

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 16 of 23
jmayo-EE

Boo!!

🙂

It works fine for us and it provides the OP exactly what he was looking for. Between you, Joe and myself he has many options to consider as he moves forward.

Note that that file has 5 different labels styles in use. I am attaching a new file that has a fixed curve label for the srf ref. If you take one of the labels that you are now instructed to drag it gets the surafce elevation without any issue anywhere along the feature line.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 17 of 23
jmayo-EE

The other labels are not meant to be dragged. Only the ones with the word 'point' in the label name The others are suppose to be pinned to start or end and report the elevation there from either a Fline or srf.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 18 of 23
BrianHailey

@Anonymous wrote:

It works fine for us and it provides the OP exactly what he was looking for. Between you, Joe and myself he has many options to consider as he moves forward.

I disagree. The OP wants to label the elevation of the start or end of the featureline without having to move the grip. If you look in your drawing on the magenta line, all three labels have the same elevation. If you adjust the grips to correct location, you'll see the elevations of the labels change as you move the grip.

In THIS VIDEO I added spot elevations for the surface at the ends of the lines and you can see your labels don't match the elevation of the surface. In order to get them to match, you have to adjust the label location.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 19 of 23
jmayo-EE

Sorry the last file was in 2013 format. Here it is in 2012 format.

I see what you are seeing Brian but since the video did not run for me let me explain this better for the OP. Bottom line do not use the labels with the srf ref that anchor on the start or end unless you drag the label. All the other labels work w/o any more interaction.

I stay away from surface ref labels at end/start points. I only use srf ref if I need a label between two vertices and that is rare because I typically will place a PI or Elv Pnt. I create small FLine models a lot. I label the the model and xref it directly into sheets for printing. My curbs, blds and all edge of pavement elvation labels come from the feature lines themselves.

Thankfully you reminded me again why I don't use the srf labels at the start/end points. Again it works perfectly with dragging but I find it much better getting the elevation from the FL that is creating the surface than from the surface. If the FL is not defining the surface it is still very quick and easy to get the elevations from the surface and you don't have to deal with ref's.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 20 of 23
jmayo-EE

Ok saw the video. Just what I described. If you use the srf ref pinned to the start or end you need to drag.

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report