Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line & Parcel Label Style

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
licensing
362 Views, 8 Replies

Line & Parcel Label Style

Is it possible to get a line or Parcel label Annotation to react to the length of the line. See Example.

____bearing____distance____

if the line is longer

________bearing_________distance________

or am I stuck with putting in a fixed offset between the annotations like this:

would be

___________bearing____distance__________

Any clarification on this would be helpful. I have not seen anything in styles that deals with the geometry of the object that is not a static offset.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
tcorey
in reply to: licensing

I'm afraid you're stuck for now. I think it would be cool if the line or curve feature had more attachment points than just Anchor Segment.

How about the ability to justify each label component to start/end or left/right (based on where up is)? That way you could say put the bearing .2" left justified from left end and the distance .2" right justified from right end.

Wish list item!

Tim Corey
Delta Engineering Systems
Redding, CA

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 9
Sinc

There *IS* a way to do this for line labels, but it's quite a pain, and it doesn't really work with spanning labels. The trick is to create a couple of "Line" components in your label.

First, set the "Direction Arrow" component so that Visibility is OFF, and the "Fixed length" property is set to "False".

Now create a new "Line" component, and set it so that it draws a line from the Start of the Direction Arrow to the middle of the Direction Arrow. Now hook your "Direction" component to the middle of this line. Create another line that goes from the middle of the Direction Arrow to the End of the Direction Arrow, and hook your "Distance" to the middle of this line.

I've included some pix to help. The image includes three seperate screen shots, showing three different elements. It should help you piece it together. I flagged some of the key settings in red.

It's pretty ugly, and illustrates only one example of how Autodesk really needs to redesign these labels so they aren't so clunky, but it works.
Sinc
Message 4 of 9
Sinc

Oh, I should note that you can probably get this to work for spanning labels, too, but if you do this, you probably won't be able to use the "Flip" command to move the label from one side of the line to the other.

In order to get it working for spanning labels, you need to change the Y-offset for the Direction Arrow so that it is not 0. Then you will also have to edit the Y-offset for the text component. You might even be able to get this to work with the "Flip" command if you use the "Filp anchors with text" option for the label, but it seems like I tried that and couldn't get it working right.
Sinc
Message 5 of 9
mmccall

A slight modification to this will allow some sliding along the line. Instead of attaching the two lines to the middle of the direction arrow, attach them to the feature's label location. This label location can me moved along the line, stretching the two lines attached to it and allowing some adjustment to the text components attached to those two lines.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Hi,

It's certainly possible. With the current system it requires that you
develop a label style for each line length range and create the labels with
a particular style current. The only way to change is to delete a label and
re-apply it.

I wrote a program last year to assign labels based on parcel segment length.
I'm not sure whether we ever released it publicly, but I could check if
anyone was interested.

Hopefully Autodesk will expand the APIs for labels to allow more flexibility
in handling them.

--

Laurie Comerford
CADApps
www.cadapps.com.au
www.civil3Dtools.com
wrote in message news:5585805@discussion.autodesk.com...
Is it possible to get a line or Parcel label Annotation to react to the
length of the line. See Example.

if the line is longer

________bearing_________distance________

or am I stuck with putting in a fixed offset between the annotations like
this:

would be

___________bearing____distance__________

Any clarification on this would be helpful. I have not seen anything in
styles that deals with the geometry of the object that is not a static
offset.
Message 7 of 9
licensing

I should have remembered the old line and hide trick from other labeling styles we've had to devise to get around the limited label positioning control. I can't complain about the ability to make the labels annotate anything I might want, I just can't always control the geometry of the label.

Wish list, add geometry of labels to the options in the Expressions. eg. object length, location etc.
Message 8 of 9
Nrhoads

Laurie,
Did you say you're holding a program that you haven't shared? I'm a new program junkie...gimmie gimmie!!!
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

with 2008 you can add expressions to the geometry of the labels...

Cheers,

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report