Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limiting Surface to the Daylight Line

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
doni49
964 Views, 5 Replies

Limiting Surface to the Daylight Line

Hi All!

I'm hoping that maybe someone has a workflow to do this.  I have featurelines for my parking lot.  Then I created grading objects that go from the parking lot to the EG surface -- there are two because there are two different slopes.  Those grading objects created featurelines that meet my EG surface. 

Then to transition between the two slopes, I connected the two featurelines with another featureline that is draped to my EG surface.

Having done all of that, I imported those three featurelines into my FG surface and the result is shown in the following image.  I do not want to show any contours/triangulation beyond those three featurelines.

SurfaceHole.png

The only things I've been able to come up with are:

1. Draw an OUTSIDE boundary shape around the surface that follows these three featurelines.
  2. Draw a HIDE boundary shape around the contours that I don't want to show (again following these three feature lines.
  3. Manually delete triangles from this area.

But I don't really like any of these options as they're not dynamic and a change to one of the featureline locations would prove to be a hassle and an opportunity to forget to update it.

TIA!

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
annw2
in reply to: doni49

You can do that with corridors.

If your objects will not be changing much, try extract the daylight line and select as outside boundary.

You may or may not need to offset it a small distance and make it a 2d poly line to work.

Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 3 of 6
Joe-Bouza

Perhaps a Maximum triangle length set in the surface build options will help

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
Neilw_05

You are aware that surfaces made from gradings have automatic boundaries, right? So if you made surfaces from each of those slope gradings you could paste them into your composite FG surface and then you won't have to worry about cleaning up the boundary.

I am speaking theoretically of course. There are often caveats to the workflow in certain scenarios.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 5 of 6
doni49
in reply to: Neilw_05

Thanks all.  I'll keep these options in mind for next time.

No I didn't realize that a grading object will behave the way NeilW mentions.  But creating a surface for each individual grading object seems a bit extreme. 

I have in the past pasted two surfaces together in which each surface had explicit outer boundaries.  But the composite surface still trianguled beyond the two boundaries.

The design criteria for this surface has changed since posting the question in such a way that I know longer have this issue.   So it's all a moot point as far as this surface goes.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 6 of 6
tcorey

@doni49 wrote:

.....  But creating a surface for each individual grading object seems a bit extreme. 

Don, you don't have to make a surface for each grading object. If they are in the same grading group and Automatic Surface option is turned on in the properties of that group, the surface will represent all gradings in the group.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report