Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lidar xml data

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
neilyj666
1328 Views, 7 Replies

Lidar xml data

Got a 1.2Gb file of lidar data which is taking an age to do anything with.

I created a data clip boundary and moved it to the top of the definition but it doesn't clip the data. I also created a new surface and pasted the original surface in and then applied the data clip but still no change (apart from a file twice as big. ...!!!!)

Does a data clip boundary work on an xml imported surface and if so how?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
antoniovinci
in reply to: neilyj666

What about physically cropping the huge point cloud..?

You can do it by means of the opensource Qgis, Neil.

If you don't wanna learn any new tool, gimme the link to that .LAS one, and the cutting shapefile.

Message 3 of 8
neilyj666
in reply to: antoniovinci

I don't have the raw data - just an xml exported from Civil3D.

Can Qgis handle this sort of file?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 8
antoniovinci

Not directly, so we should first extract the triples XYZ from the .XML, thru an Ascii editor able to handle millions of rows (e.g. Textpad).

Could you zip the XML on a file sharing as Dropbox..?

Message 5 of 8
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: antoniovinci

Assuming the XML file produces a surface with Grid Levels.

You could use the Surface points to CSV to export the points to a file, create a new points cloud from that file. Then clip the point cloud and create the surface or use Map3d to connect to the data using a query only drawing those entities lying within an area or to break down the original data to tiles.

By the way if the clip boundary is above the import I imagined it wont have anything to clip, have you tried relocating this to below the import?
Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 6 of 8
neilyj666
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

I followed the procedure detailed in help - but it din't seem to have any effect on the surface.

In the end I extracted the points from the surface and wblocked them as plain AutoCAD points to a dxf which worked

2014-12-02 13_29_37-Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D 2015 - Help.jpg

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
MikeEvansUK

I see, I was guessing (so help & Tut's I go)

I just tried that with a Tin surface and a Lidar data set exported to Lxml Both worked fine. The only thing was I had to rebuild the snapshot each time before it would regenerate (I also had to manually regen).

I'm guessing it may purely be down to the size & number of points. I know creating surfaces from point clouds reduces memory useage but the point cloud its self is restricted to a set number of points. My Lxml file had 179772 points and worked fine. If anyone else can see if they can do this with a greater number of points (working up to your size) it would be useful to see if / when it fails.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 8 of 8
neilyj666
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

I'll revisit this when I get a bit of time.....

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report