Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LIDAR topo (Aerial) size

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
286 Views, 6 Replies

LIDAR topo (Aerial) size

HI,
I have been given a lidar aerial topo which is huge (160MB). I am using many of the methods perviously suggested to reduce the size but as you can see from the attachment the problem is in the zig zag nature of the polylines. This ends up creating a lot of triangles. Is there a routine around that will "straighten" the polylines as it where. Sort of draw a new line on the average position so I get a lot smaller model but a model that is still generally correct?

Many thanks
Russell
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Run a Map cleanup on them to get rid of a large amount of the junk. Didn't
the provider do any cleanup before handing this to you?

--
James Wedding, P.E.
Engineered Efficiency, Inc.
Civil 3D 2007
XP Tablet, SP2, 2GHz, 2G
www.eng-eff.com
www.civil3d.com
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Hi James,

I Don't know it has come to me via others in the company who are struggling. I have broken it up and use data shortcuts which all helps. I will give the MAP cleanup a go and see how that works.

thanks
Russell
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

Use this simple vba routine
http://www.civil3d.com/index.php/2007/02/son-of-the-polylinethingy/
to create a FLT file from the polylines. you can then build a surface from this external FLT file, keeping your dwg small!

Mark
www.eng-eff.com
Message 5 of 7
sboon

Was the original data provided as contours, or do you have access to the point files?
Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Thanks to both suggestions. I will try the flt thing although I can create a surface in a separate drawing and data shortcut it in keeping my working drawing size down too. It will be interesting to see which method produces the best result.

The file has been sent to me purely as an acad plan with polylines (the contours) with a Z value. I have tried the mapclean which helps but I need to be pretty radical to fix some areas which of course badly distorts others.
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Hi,
May I suggest that you try and export your Surface to a LandXML-file.
Then create a new dwg and import that LandXML. It reduces the size of the data in the drawing.
This is really where we're trying to improve the future releases...

Best regards / Ove Cervin
ADSK Europe

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report