Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LiDar Surface

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
awall
943 Views, 11 Replies

LiDar Surface

I was supplied with LiDar data in XYZ format.  I import the blocks via point clouds, each seperate block in a seperate point cloud.  The point cloud details show that the cloud contains about 2.5 million points.  When I create a surface from the point cloud it will only use 48 000 points from the 2.5 million.  I combined all my point clouds (27) to create a large surface, and it only contains 77 516 points.  By my calculations it should contain 2.5 million x 27 = 67.5 million.  Is there any way to have my surface contain all the points from the point cloud?

Thanks, 

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: awall

Try changing the Point Cloud density to a higher number.  I think by default it is only set to 15 out of 100.

Todd Rogers
Message 3 of 12
mathewkol

Regardless, your Civil 3D surface will use no more than 1.5M points no matter how large your lidat survey. Big reason I don't use point clouds in C3D.

You're better off to use the Point Files option when making your surface.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 4 of 12
awall
in reply to: mathewkol

I have had a very difficult time when importing the lidar data as point files.  Extremely slow and most times Civl 3D will sotp responding.  I open the task manager and it shows its only using 10% of the CPU and 10% of the Ram.

Message 5 of 12
ToddRogers-WPM

Matt's right.  You are better off "attaching" the point file.

Todd Rogers
Message 6 of 12
dgorsman

In any event, using every single point of a 60M +/- point scan wouldn't produce much of a difference, except for a horrifically unmanageable file size.  For the most part, the intermediate points will lie on a the surfaces formed from the other points.  They may be a little higher or lower, but shouldn't be signficantly so.

Kind of like modeling every nuance of a thread and rounded bolt head on a screw for a 1:50 drawing.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 12
awall
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

When I increased the point cloud density from the default 15% to 100%, it still only included the same 48 000 points when I would create a surface per point cloud.

Message 8 of 12
dgorsman

Probably more like 15%, where you are showing combined activity in a hex-core processor.  If you switched to individual core monitoring, you would see one of the cores pegged at or near 100%.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 9 of 12
mathewkol

Awall, when I say poit fikes, I don't mean importing COGO points, just to be sure you're not attempting to import 2.5M points. This will fail every time.

I can attach 2.5M points to my surface in minutes with no trouble at all.
Matt Kolberg
Message 10 of 12
awall

Matt, it took me a little bit to figure out what you meant, but I understand.  Create a surface and just attach the point files instead of importing the points and creating point groups and attaching them.  It sounds like a much better method than what I had orginally attempted.  I will give it a shot and let you know how it works.  Thanks for the help!

Message 11 of 12
mathewkol

Great! I'm glad we're on the same page now. Good luck.
Matt Kolberg
Message 12 of 12
awall

So I was able to attach the point files, it created the surface using the correct number of points per block.  I maxed out my surface to about 30 million points and then it would crash everytime I tried to add more.  Broke it up into smaller surfaces and it worked fine.  Thanks for the solution!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report