Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LiDAR generated surfaces

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
3443 Views, 15 Replies

LiDAR generated surfaces

I have recently upgraded to Civil 3D 2011 when we started receiving LiDAR data.  I have been playing around with the data a bit and have a few questions on how the data is dealt with.  It appears that when a point cloud is added to a surface, it is using the point cloud display somehow to generate the TIN.  I believe that the point cloud display is showing a percentage of points based on the maximum number of 1.5 million points.  On these particular datasets (citywide LiDAR coverage, about 2,600' x 2,600' panels), we may have 4-7 million points in each LAS file.  Is Civil 3D ignoring all points beyond 1.5 million in surface building operations?  Also, when adjusting the slider, is there any way to know which points will be displayed...or maybe the points are reduced randomly??

Thanks!

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
thesieb
in reply to: Anonymous

I would like to know the same thing... Creating a surface from a point cloud (created from an ESRI grid or ESRI ascii file) seems to use only a fraction of the points available... and I don't see anywhere to choose to weed point in the surface creation.

Also, it creates a TIN surface... is there any way (or benefit) to create a GRID surface from teh point cloud?

John

Message 3 of 16
BrianHailey
in reply to: thesieb

The points the point cloud displays are the ones that are added to the surface. If you want the maximum number of points to be added to your surface, slide the slider all the way to 100.

Point Cloud.png

Also, if you filter the points based on the classification, only the points that displayed will be added. According to the help file, the max number of points that a point cloud object will display is 750,000 points. If you need all the points in your surface, you'll have to bypass the point clould option and simply add the point file directly to a surface.

add point file.png

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous

You may want to check out some of the Feature Extraction and Shape Extraction tools being developed by Autodesk labs..

http://labs.blogs.com/its_alive_in_the_lab/

they posted some download links back on 2/18/2011

I haven't tried them yet, but it is obvious Autodesk is working on improving their point cloud tools, plus it gives you a chance to add your 2 cents and provide input on what they develop...

I'm working with a point cloud that has 900 million points, so I'm still doing most of the work with another software, but I hope Autodesk develops the ability to render point clouds sometime soon!  They are almost there!

Mark.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous

After opening my point cloud, I tried to isolate a group of points (i.e. Ground, low veg, high veg..) but I can't seem to be able too.  I go to the point cloud properties, then classification tab to turn on a layer by checking it and changing it to another color (btw...all of my points are grey already.  There is no distinction between different classified points.)  All of the points are a grey "ByLayer" color and when I try to isolate 'ground points', everything stays grey; nothing happens.

Let me know your thoughts.

Message 6 of 16
Neilw_05

I posted about this same question here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Clip-or-filter-point-cloud/m-p/3144490/highlight/true...

I decided the point clould tool was too problematic for building the surfaces and instead used the XYZ file and a data clip boundary which gave 100% fidelity.

The density setting is still useful for viewing the clouds.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 7 of 16
mathewkol

Mark, those tools were removed Feb 1 I believe.

I'm with Neil, I see little need for a point cloud in C3D at this point in the game. It's just an extra step getting a surface...and with the limited number of points, it just doesn't seem worth it.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 8 of 16
BrianHailey
in reply to: mathewkol

I think it was the point cloud feature extraction tools that expired, not the point clouds themself. There are still point clouds in Civil 3D.

As for the use of point clouds, I've been disapointed as well. The first release, all we could do was look at the point cloud. The next release we could add points to a surface (but not necessarily all of them). Perhaps in a future release we'll be able to display point clouds in a profile or cross section and target a point cloud for a corridor. That would make it useful.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 9 of 16
mathewkol
in reply to: BrianHailey

Indeed, Brian, it was the Labs tools.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 10 of 16
thepworth
in reply to: mathewkol

My biggest gripe about howC3D handles point clouds is when you move the slider, it's arbitrary.  What I'd love to see is a means to build a surface by 1) set contour interval 2) initial estimate 3) weed points 4) check against Nat'l map accuracy stds i.e. 90% of all points w/in 1/2 contour interval, 5) weed until accuracy threshold is met.

would make a lot more sense than "visually estimate that contours don't appear too degraded, which is kinda where they're at now 😞

Message 11 of 16
Neilw_05
in reply to: thepworth

Rather than compare with an unrelated source such as the national map, I think it would be best if we could compare the decimated set vs. the unaltered set, perhaps by comparing contours.

I also would like to see more control over what gets removed than just a density slider. Ultimately it would probably lead to a set of full fledged editing tools.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 12 of 16
thepworth
in reply to: Neilw_05

Concur - I'm referring to the standards & ASPRS standards and "internal" data consistency versus saying we need to be within USGS topo contours.  I just wasn't too verbose - still getting used to time change 😉

If I were back in school, this would be a worthy topic for how to most efficiently weed a lidar data set.

I do know that LizardTech (Mr. Sid) has gone in with my old employer (Merrick) to see how they might apply the pyramid scheme of SID's to LiDAR data sets.  what Merrick has done with their MARS software is orders of magnitude faster at processing than AD.  

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: thepworth

I am adding points for a LIDAR point cloud to a surface .  I've seen in tutorials and other forums that one should be able to change your surface style to "Contours .5' and 2.5' with Points" and when I go to do it on mine, I cannot find that style on my dropdown menu.  What I am doing wrong??

Message 14 of 16
thepworth

the style needs to exist in your drawing - you can copy an existing one (1' & 5') and change the contour interval as you want.  .5 & 2.5 is not a typical interval.

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: Neilw_05

This is sort of related to LiDAR and Point Clouds, but more of a surface question.  What have you all done to smooth out a surface with all the points one gets with a LiDAR dataset?  When I make a surface directly, it almost always results in pretty jagged and erractic contours.

One thing I have done is created a surface and exported it as a DEM.  I played with cell size a bit and always told it to average points rather than take the center.  It seemed to result in a representative surface when it worked, but it hasn't always worked the way I thought it would and it's pretty time consuming.

Thanks!

Message 16 of 16
Neilw_05

Usually when we get LIDAR data it comes with points in text file along with a CAD file with 3D breaklines which need to be added to the surface. Without the breaklines the surface would be inaccurate and jaggy. So far I haven't had to do any smoothing on the models we've built.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report