Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LiDAR Data, Data Clip Boundary

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
silvernich
2583 Views, 14 Replies

LiDAR Data, Data Clip Boundary

Quick sanity check question on surface boundaries,

So since I have a LiDAR surface, I added a Data Clip boundary to it and moved it to the top of the definitions so that there is now no longer data outside of that boundary.

However, the surface still triangulates on the concave portions along the boundary. Thus, I added the same polyline as an outer boundary as well. My question is, that additional data added outside of the boundary is still there but isn't displayed?

I had only ever used Outer boundaries to this point, but with LiDAR I would like to shrink these down with a Data Clip.

Thanks,

Nich

Civil 3D 2015
Windows 7, 64-bit, SP2
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
sboon
in reply to: silvernich

Lidar data is just points.  If you import those to a surface then the software will build a TIN that connects them all together.   An outer boundary applied after that cuts away all of the excess TIN lines and points outside of it.  Of course you're wasting a lot of time creating all of this excess TIN just to get rid of it immediately after.

If you apply a Data Clip boundary first then all of those points outside the boundary are never imported.  The TIN process works just the same but with less data.  If you apply the same polyline as an outer boundary there will still be TIN lines across concave sections to remove, but many less than before.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 15
ksorsby

You can get rid of virtually all of the concave triangulations quite easily. One the surface is imported, under surface properties, definition tab, unfold build and in there you can set a maximum triangle length.

LiDAR data is usually a grid of a particular resolution so if the grid spacing is 1m, you can set the maximum length to be 1.5m so it will only ever triangulate across a 1m square (hypotenuse is around 1.4m). Similarly, for a 2m grid, use 2.9m.

If you want it to trianulate across 2 squares, for a 1m grid use 2.3m and so on.

Works pretty well actually.

Kevin

Message 4 of 15
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: sboon

The LIDAR I have is a TIFF. are there more than one kind of dataset?

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 5 of 15
ksorsby
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Yes. All kinds of resolutions and file formats. I can get down to 12cm grid. ASC, XYZ, LAS files, GeoTIFF's and more I'm sure.

Message 6 of 15
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: ksorsby

so there are no points from the tiff, correct? so as suggested above the surface cannot be reduced by including lidar point in a tin surface, yes?

Your Name
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 7 of 15
ksorsby

No. The GeoTIFF's should have elevations (as I understand it, each pixel has an elevation) so you can easily build the surface from the GeoTIFF and you will end up with a surface that is essentially made from a grid of points (check the triangulation with a style). You can then do the build reduction, clip as necessary etc.

Kevin

Message 8 of 15
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: ksorsby

Sorry, I may have mis led you. I know geo tiff has elevation points, but how do I access them? I created my surface from DEM and it is too large for my needs. If I could get some of the point data to make a smaller surface that would be great

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 9 of 15
ksorsby

Draw a polyline/feature line as a boundary then add it to the surface definition as a data clip boundary. Move to the front of the build order so the clip is above the TIFF import in the list and it should work.

Once the geoTIFF is imported, it's just a normal set of points defining the surface which can be clipped or modified accordingly. Change the style to something which shows the surface points and you'll see them.

Kevin

Message 10 of 15
silvernich

Steve,

My research on this topic seems to state that with an Outer Boundary, the data is still there and is still used for calculations. This is my concern, especially when the triangulation happens on concave edges.

Are you saying this is not the case? That only the area within the Outer Boundary is used?

Thank you for your thoughts,

Nich

Civil 3D 2015
Windows 7, 64-bit, SP2
Message 11 of 15
sboon

@silvernich wrote:

Steve,

My research on this topic seems to state that with an Outer Boundary, the data is still there and is still used for calculations. This is my concern, especially when the triangulation happens on concave edges.

Are you saying this is not the case? That only the area within the Outer Boundary is used?

Thank you for your thoughts,

Nich

Your description sounds more like a Surface Mask which only hides the display of the surface but doesn't remove any TIN lines.  Calculations will be performed on areas of the surface hidden by the mask.

I tried an experiment which may help to show what happens when an outer boundary is applied to a surface.  This is one of the tutorial drawings, created from contour data.

Clipboard01.png

In this picture I have moved the outer boundary inward so that some of the TIN is cut away and removed.  Calculations cannot be performed on an area without TIN, but the source data still exists in the excluded area.

Clipboard02.png

In the third pic I have added a show boundary surrounding the whole area.  This causes the surface to recreate the TIN in the area previously removed.  At this point every time the surface is rebuilt the entire TIN would be created, then cut away outside of the outer boundary, then recreated again by the show boundary.

Clipboard03.png

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 12 of 15
silvernich

Steve,

So basically you area saying, the Outer Boundary does indeed remove information with which any calculations would be done. This is what I have always assume. The data exists outside an Outer Boundary, but the TIN is created only within the Outer Boundary.

Thanks,

Nich

Civil 3D 2015
Windows 7, 64-bit, SP2
Message 13 of 15
AllenJessup

You can Create a Cropped Surface

This will create a new smaller surface.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 14 of 15
sboon

@silvernich wrote:

Steve,

So basically you area saying, the Outer Boundary does indeed remove information with which any calculations would be done. This is what I have always assume. The data exists outside an Outer Boundary, but the TIN is created only within the Outer Boundary.

Thanks,

Nich

If you look at the Definition tab for a surface you will see all of the pieces of data used to create that surface.  At each step in that list the TIN is updated.  Add a point group - the software builds the TIN.  Add breaklines and the software updates that TIN.  Add an outer boundary and the TIN is updated again, cutting away the excess as I described earlier.  Every time the surface rebuilds it goes through every step again.

This is why a Data clip boundary is important for large data sets - to prevent that TIN from being created and then immediately removed outside your area of interest.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 15 of 15
ksorsby

An Outer Boundary just trims the surface at the boundary and so the data beyond the boundary is retained in the model, albeit not used. A Data Clip boundary disregards data beyond the boundary when building so it doesn't exist in the model, hence smaller models from larger data sets.

This is as I understand it. Might be wrong though.

Kevin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report