Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leica GPS Equipment - Smartworx and Civil 3D

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
rl_jackson
7431 Views, 9 Replies

Leica GPS Equipment - Smartworx and Civil 3D

Well, I have to say that from my intial review of the process of importing for Leica (X-change), is total backwards for what I would call industry standard (TDS/Trimble and Carlson methods). They have totally abandon any sense of additional features that are included in the linework commands within the data collection process and then the import to civil 3d.

Does anyone know how you get this equipment to work correctly and give desired results like rectangles, offsets (both horz. & vert.), rt angles etc...  I see were it will do simple linework using a string function as an attribute, but beyond that it looks to me like all there equipment forces you to take 2 steps back instead of 1 step forward.

Any help with this proccess would be appreciated.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
jmayo-EE
in reply to: rl_jackson

Is the issue

Coding the commands in the field?

Converting the raw data to asci?

Importing asci to C3D?

If the instrument and software can get you the asci file in PNEZD or similar format the C3D linework codes have the capabilities you are looking for.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
rl_jackson
in reply to: jmayo-EE

That's the issue, it does not do the coding in a manner consistent with what I am familiar with.

In fact the field coding is completely different, and they have elected to use an attribuite field that basically makes the lines draw in the data collect (which can be exported/imported as dumb dxf lines or polylines). Or you can set the attribute to do what the call STRINGING which allow you to enter a code description like BC and then a string number (i.e. 1) and it converts a code in the field book to a BC1 does the begin and such.

And an unfortunate thing is that Leica actually promotes the use of the fbk file, but due to the limited functions on the DC there does not seem to be commands for RECT, RT HO VO X OC (it can do a curve or spline which is similar to OC), which in my opionion makes it a piece of crap.

I was hoping someone on the board may be using this system (or similar Leica equipment) that could possibly enlight me on the process.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 10
rl_jackson

Well I did some additional research on this, and have come to a stark realization of why the functionality of this equipment is so lax, it because it is written primarly for import into Bentley InRoads, and not Civil 3D. This is the reason for Leica backwards approach at exporting an FBK file as a method of getting line work that will work with Autodesk based products. Furthermore it's total lack of the additional functions allowed for us with Civil 3D make this system a total DO NOT BUY for any survey firm that is using CIvil 3D.

The only workaround that I can see is to have all the linework coding done in the decription like Trimble/TDS&Carlson methods prescribe, in order to be able to use it. This will give you the functions missing in the software, but not the drawing within the DC that is prescibed.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Message 5 of 10

I've used Wild/Leica equipment fo 40 years with no problems. You need to read the documentation. It does a lot more than the other equipment if you know how to use it. Have used the Line work and coding since the first version of Land Desktop. The ability to apply Description Keys to point files has only made it easier. Forget the field books. With proper template configuration for example you can with one set of shots Top-Back-Curb: Draw Edge of Pavement, Flow Line, Front Curb, Back Curb. with a custom line type. 

Before any  field work is done the equipment needs to be configured to work with C3D. This involves setting up the code lists for the Leica equipment  using LGO and a matching Description Key Set template in C3D. The code properties are setup in LGO Code name, Code Description and Code Type (point, line, area, free code)  In C3D the layers, point symbol, point labels, line type can be configured. Code names and Description Keys must match exactly as well as line work codes must match. In addition Attributes can be added to the Description Codes (example: Pipe, Type, Size, ect.) The Attributes can be in the form of Text, Choice Lists, Integers.  Description Codes that are Lines allow selection of line work codes (Begin, End, Curve, Spline, ect.) Again Leica and C3D must be configured to match. Matching Code Sets then need to be loaded in to all data collectors and instruments used.

The preferred method of using Leica Equipment with Civil 3-D is to download the DBX file or GSI file with Leica Geo Office and process the survey and perform adjustments  with LGO. Using this method allows all the capabilities of the equipment to be used. Combining GPS data with TPS data;  It allows all of the capabilities of the total station to be used:  Smart Station Setups, Free Station Setups, Resections.  The data can then be imported in to C3D using a PXYZD(A1,A2)  file after importing the description keys are applied.  The PXYZD file can be pasted into a Excel spreadsheet for editing and then saved with a as a *.csv file.

References:

Leica System 1200 Reference Manual 

http://retrieve.rguidestore.com/    : Leica with AutoCAD Civil 3D 2009, Survey using Civil 3D 2009

http://retrieve.rguidestore.com/autodesk-5/surveying-and-mapping-field-to-finish-with-autocad-civil-...

Autodesk Press: AutoCAD 3D Quick Reference

SYBEX:Mastering Autocad Civil 3D 2010

Matrix3DSurveys

Surveyor / Programer

Message 6 of 10
rl_jackson

MATRIX3DSURVEYS

“Before any  field work is done the equipment needs to be configured to work with C3D. This involves setting up the code lists for the Leica equipment  using LGO and a matching Description Key Set template in C3D. The code properties are setup in LGO Code name, Code Description and Code Type (point, line, area, free code)  In C3D the layers, point symbol, point labels, line type can be configured. Code names and Description Keys must match exactly as well as line work codes must match. In addition Attributes can be added to the Description Codes (example: Pipe, Type, Size, ect.) The Attributes can be in the form of Text, Choice Lists, Integers.  Description Codes that are Lines allow selection of line work codes (Begin, End, Curve, Spline, ect.) Again Leica and C3D must be configured to match. Matching Code Sets then need to be loaded in to all data collectors and instruments used.”

I don’t have a whole lot of problem here but that still does not answer my question regarding the custom codes allowed by Civil 3D, such as the RECT, RT, H, V etc…..  You references would be valid for someone who was using Civil 3D for the first time but I’ve been coding since 1990’s and the Leica manuals leave a lot out of the equation when it comes to getting the data.

“The preferred method of using Leica Equipment with Civil 3-D is to download the DBX file or GSI file with Leica Geo Office and process the survey and perform adjustments  with LGO. Using this method allows all the capabilities of the equipment to be used. Combining GPS data with TPS data;  It allows all of the capabilities of the total station to be used:  Smart Station Setups, Free Station Setups, Resections.  The data can then be imported in to C3D using a PXYZD(A1,A2)  file after importing the description keys are applied.  The PXYZD file can be pasted into a Excel spreadsheet for editing and then saved with a as a *.csv file.”

Your saying that the preferred method is DBX or GSI, with LGO so is that to say that I must use LGO to get the data I'm looking for. If so that basically adds additional cost for more unnecessary garbage by having to get LGO for each CAD Tech., our crews are all over the county, I need them to export an ascii file that is formatted utilizing the newer coding methods introduced in C3D11 (ie.. single line in description) and be able to import that data to C3D creating the necessary figures, points based on the style settings. Im not doing anything that would necessarily require post processing, although there is a combination of GPS and TPS data.

Rick

rljackson at verizon.net

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
deanonewc

Has anyone solved this issue yet,i've been trying for a while now, have spoken with Leica, they don't seem to familiar with civil 3d code sets etc. The coding is a pain to say the least, simply not enough room to code for example RD B H.1 V.155 H2 V.2. How the hell are you meant to do this with a Leica TS15.
Message 8 of 10
deanonewc
in reply to: deanonewc

Also does anyone know how to export civil 3d code sets to the code folder in the TS15, can they somehow be exported/ saved as an XML file then loaded in to the controller?
Message 9 of 10
rl_jackson

The short answer is NO on all accounts I've not figured out anything with regards to Leica Smartwork operating with C3D, there is another post regarding this same subject with some custom format files (Link Below), which may be of some help. As Matrix explains it you must use LGO to be able to get Lieca to do anything. I'm currently in the process of trying to get our LGO License transferred to other PC's as most of my company has converted over to Trimble with the exception of 2 crews, because of these setbacks.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-general/leica-ts11-fbk-output-with-no-attributes/m-p/...

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
MATRIX3DSURVEYS

Leica Data Collectors with Autodesk Civil 3D:

References: Check You Tube there are a number of videos on configuring the Leica Data Collectors/ Instruments to work with C3D/ LandDesktop ;

AutoDesk Press has a Book I think it is called “Civil 3D for Surveyors”

Look for the videos there is a training center I believe it’s called “Construction Technology’s” they have lot of information in their videos. And some really neat tricks with the line work.

Basic Configuration:

I would use the example LEICA CODE LIST as a starting point and customize it to your application.

The Data Collector /Instrument needs to be setup to work with Codes and Line Work.

5 Configure > 1 Survey Settings > 3 Coding & Linework Settings

CODING

Quick Code > ON

Digits >1

Rec Free code> After Point

Attributes > Default Values

Mand Attribs> Only if No Value

Thematic Codes> With Codelist

Show Codes > All codes

String Attribute > 4    

LINEWORK

Use Leica defaults so LGO will work. (Leica has 12 line work control codes match them with and edit the control codes on the Survey Tab in C3D.) Some don’t apply C3D doesn’t have Splines or Areas. And some of the Road Runner special commands.

Editing the Code List:

Open Code List in LGO Customize as needed.

I would suggest using Choice Lists (Roll down Boxes) for Attributes so they are consistent and don’t mess up the coding. Use Annotations for notes and extra information. Don’t use any punctuation marks AutoDesk thinks they are Wild Cards they mess things up.

Leica Codes to C3D

Open the Code List in LGO Highlight all and copy and Paste in an Excel Spreadsheet.

In C3D Toolspace>settings>Description Key Sets>New>Edit Keys

Each Code Name can be copied individually and pasted in to the Description Key editor. Select: Symbol, Layer, Line Type, Color, and Description…..

Data from Leica to C3D:

I always use LGO because, I predominately use GPS equipment, with conventional TPS measurements and setups mixed in.

Process data, make adjustments and coordinate conversions, Geoid Corections in LGO. Data can then be exported in several different formats. Custom Point file PXYZDAa.CSV, Field Book *.FBK, or a Shape file with the line work and figures. Any of these can then be imported into C3D.

Jim

Surveyor/Programer

Matrix3DSurveys

AC10 .......ISDP2016

Leica GPS1230GNSS, TCR1200P, LGO8.4, Move3

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report