AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

*Dave Lewis
Message 1 of 26 (89 Views)

LDD 2005 vs C3D 2005?

89 Views, 25 Replies
02-21-2004 08:26 AM
I am just wondering if there is any clear direction is to a migration path or what is going to happen with these two products? I would think that C3D 2005 would have replaced LDD entirely, but for now it seems that these two will be developed side by side. So does this mean we will have to purchase both products now? Right now C3D 2004 is free to LDD 2004 subscribers, but I am sure in the future autodesk will make us pay for both products. So is autodesk going to keep developing LDD? It doesn't make sense to me to continue developing LDD with the features that I see in C3D? I am just wondering if I should continue to teach & develop for a dead product like LDD?s
*wfb
Message 2 of 26 (89 Views)

Re: LDD 2005 vs C3D 2005?

02-21-2004 10:03 AM in reply to: *Dave Lewis
My opinion only. From what I have found using C3D and the people that I know that use LDD, I have this to say. AutoCAD will lose 80% of their current customers if they drop LDD. Most companies won't travel the learning curve. MTC worth. wfb "Dave Lewis" wrote in message news:ve1f305tbm8as1p1okvdho8rlnm86a175q@4ax.com... | I am just wondering if there is any clear direction is to a migration path or what is going to happen with these two | products? I would think that C3D 2005 would have replaced LDD entirely, but for now it seems that these two will be | developed side by side. So does this mean we will have to purchase both products now? Right now C3D 2004 is free to | LDD 2004 subscribers, but I am sure in the future autodesk will make us pay for both products. So is autodesk going to | keep developing LDD? It doesn't make sense to me to continue developing LDD with the features that I see in C3D? I am | just wondering if I should continue to teach & develop for a dead product like LDD?s
*Dave Simeone
Message 3 of 26 (89 Views)

02-23-2004 05:29 AM in reply to: *Dave Lewis
Hi all, Unfortunately I am limited in what I can discuss publicly. Hope this info helps... I would expect to see LDT/Civil and Civil 3D to continue with a co-existence strategy for some time. The length of time will depend on how quickly we can round out the feature set and maturity of Civil 3D, how quickly you folks can setup your organizations to put Civil 3D into full production, and how quickly we can build the infrastructure to sell, support and train our users for successful implementation of the new product. That means there will be a next LDT/Civil Design. Does that mean that we'll have an LDT/Civil Design release 2006 or 2007? That depends on how and when we can meet the requirements I listed in the second sentence! "Right now C3D 2004 is free to LDD 2004 subscribers,..." - In reality, the product isn't free to anyone. Subscribers spend money every year to get upgrades, extensions, etc. Civil 3D is just another part of the LDT/Civil Design fulfillment. These customers with suscription will recieve LDT/Civil Design 2005 when it ships, and they'll receive the next Civil 3D release when it becomes available. My recommendation: If you have subscription - stay on subscription. If you don't have subscription, add subscription when you upgrade or buy new seats. Should you continue to teach and develop for a "dead" product like LDT? I'm guessing that most of our users will be using LDT/Civil as part of their production solution for next 12 - 24 months. Ideally, the % of work done in LDT/Civil drops significantly once we get key functionality into Civil 3D. I can tell you that we are investing in training and engineering efforts for LDT/Civil, so it probably makes sense for you to do the same thing. Note - i can't give you details on future functionality, but it's a reasonable guess that many of the new enhancements in LDT will be built in a way so that they can also be exposed in Civil 3D. If that's the case, training or content created for feature "X" in LDT may be usable in a future release of Civil 3D. On the flip side, functionality in Civil 3D such as dynamic relationships, model-based design, style system to be added to LDT/Civil. Sorry if I'm rambling. As I said, there are limits to what details I can provide. What I can clearly state is that we have clearly heard that we need to protect that investment that you have made in your existing products. Thanks Dave S "Dave Lewis" wrote in message news:ve1f305tbm8as1p1okvdho8rlnm86a175q@4ax.com... > I am just wondering if there is any clear direction is to a migration path or what is going to happen with these two > products? I would think that C3D 2005 would have replaced LDD entirely, but for now it seems that these two will be > developed side by side. So does this mean we will have to purchase both products now? Right now C3D 2004 is free to > LDD 2004 subscribers, but I am sure in the future autodesk will make us pay for both products. So is autodesk going to > keep developing LDD? It doesn't make sense to me to continue developing LDD with the features that I see in C3D? I am > just wondering if I should continue to teach & develop for a dead product like LDD?s
*Steve
Message 4 of 26 (89 Views)

02-23-2004 07:56 AM in reply to: *Dave Lewis
"Dave Simeone" wrote in message news:403a0054$1_2@newsprd01... SNIP > "Right now C3D 2004 is free to LDD 2004 subscribers,..." - In reality, the > product isn't free to anyone. SNIP Dave, I'm not on subscription and I received a link for Autodesk for a free download of Civil 3D. So in reality, it is free for anyone to try, and when it's released as a product, anyone can buy it also. Just wanted to clear that up, S
*Neil Wilson
Message 5 of 26 (89 Views)

02-23-2004 08:12 AM in reply to: *Dave Lewis
Is it really free if you had to pay for the subscription? Civil 3D is not recommended for production use at this time, but is offered as a "preview" so you can get ready for it when it is released for production. Those of us who have to be productive cannot afford to spend time playing with preview releases if there is no certainty as to what and when the final product will be. I don't know of any software company that issues "previews". They offer alpha and beta releases to those who want to "play" with them and trouble shoot them. Those Alpha and Beta "previews" are truly free. "Dave Lewis" wrote in message news:ve1f305tbm8as1p1okvdho8rlnm86a175q@4ax.com... > I am just wondering if there is any clear direction is to a migration path or what is going to happen with these two > products? I would think that C3D 2005 would have replaced LDD entirely, but for now it seems that these two will be > developed side by side. So does this mean we will have to purchase both products now? Right now C3D 2004 is free to > LDD 2004 subscribers, but I am sure in the future autodesk will make us pay for both products. So is autodesk going to > keep developing LDD? It doesn't make sense to me to continue developing LDD with the features that I see in C3D? I am > just wondering if I should continue to teach & develop for a dead product like LDD?s
*Strahimir Antoljak
Message 6 of 26 (89 Views)

02-23-2004 12:37 PM in reply to: *Dave Lewis
> AutoCAD will lose 80% of their current customers to whom? I am extremely curious to find out. thanks, -- Strah @ Langan "wfb" wrote in message news:40379d69$3_1@newsprd01... > My opinion only. From what I have found using C3D and the people that I > know that use LDD, I have this to say. AutoCAD will lose 80% of their > current customers if they drop LDD. Most companies won't travel the > learning curve. > > MTC worth. > > wfb > > > "Dave Lewis" wrote in message > news:ve1f305tbm8as1p1okvdho8rlnm86a175q@4ax.com... > | I am just wondering if there is any clear direction is to a migration path > or what is going to happen with these two > | products? I would think that C3D 2005 would have replaced LDD entirely, > but for now it seems that these two will be > | developed side by side. So does this mean we will have to purchase both > products now? Right now C3D 2004 is free to > | LDD 2004 subscribers, but I am sure in the future autodesk will make us > pay for both products. So is autodesk going to > | keep developing LDD? It doesn't make sense to me to continue developing > LDD with the features that I see in C3D? I am > | just wondering if I should continue to teach & develop for a dead product > like LDD?s > >
*Don Reichle
Message 7 of 26 (89 Views)

02-23-2004 01:15 PM in reply to: *Dave Lewis
snip>truly free At the cost of any downtime introduced when said Alpha or Beta version crashes, taking an unknown amount of data with it. Being on the "cutting edge" means you must be willing to endure some bloodshed sometimes (even and especially your own). -- Don Reichle "King of Work-Arounds" Ifland Engineers, Inc. "Neil Wilson" wrote in message news:403a2684_3@newsprd01... > Is it really free if you had to pay for the subscription? Civil 3D is not > recommended for production use at this time, but is offered as a "preview" > so you can get ready for it when it is released for production. Those of us > who have to be productive cannot afford to spend time playing with preview > releases if there is no certainty as to what and when the final product will > be. I don't know of any software company that issues "previews". They offer > alpha and beta releases to those who want to "play" with them and trouble > shoot them. Those Alpha and Beta "previews" are truly free. > > > "Dave Lewis" wrote in message > news:ve1f305tbm8as1p1okvdho8rlnm86a175q@4ax.com... > > I am just wondering if there is any clear direction is to a migration path > or what is going to happen with these two > > products? I would think that C3D 2005 would have replaced LDD entirely, > but for now it seems that these two will be > > developed side by side. So does this mean we will have to purchase both > products now? Right now C3D 2004 is free to > > LDD 2004 subscribers, but I am sure in the future autodesk will make us > pay for both products. So is autodesk going to > > keep developing LDD? It doesn't make sense to me to continue developing > LDD with the features that I see in C3D? I am > > just wondering if I should continue to teach & develop for a dead product > like LDD?s > >
*Dave Lewis
Message 8 of 26 (89 Views)

02-23-2004 05:45 PM in reply to: *Dave Lewis
how, what did you do? "Steve" |>I'm not on subscription and I received a link for Autodesk for a free |>download of Civil 3D. So in reality, it is free for anyone to try, and when |>it's released as a product, anyone can buy it also. -------------------------- Dave Lewis CAD Manager http://www.cadthinking.com Just say no to HTML Posts!
*Dave Lewis
Message 9 of 26 (89 Views)

02-23-2004 05:46 PM in reply to: *Dave Lewis
nope its not free, you are paying for it to be developed by your subscription. And the subscription is not returning any extensions for use in the current LDT product like it promised. That's why we are not on subscription among other issues. "Neil Wilson" |>Is it really free if you had to pay for the subscription? Civil 3D is not |>recommended for production use at this time, but is offered as a "preview" |>so you can get ready for it when it is released for production. Those of us |>who have to be productive cannot afford to spend time playing with preview |>releases if there is no certainty as to what and when the final product will |>be. I don't know of any software company that issues "previews". They offer |>alpha and beta releases to those who want to "play" with them and trouble |>shoot them. Those Alpha and Beta "previews" are truly free. -------------------------- Dave Lewis CAD Manager http://www.cadthinking.com Just say no to HTML Posts!
*wfb
Message 10 of 26 (89 Views)

02-23-2004 05:53 PM in reply to: *Dave Lewis
1. Nobody, just not re-up. 2. Carlson ? 3. Eagle Point ? 4. Microstation ? I really don't know. Now, before anyone jumps on me, I know that Carlson & Eagle Point use AutoCAD engines. (Eagle points also uses other engines as well, or they use to.) "Strahimir Antoljak" wrote in message news:403a648a$1_3@newsprd01... | > AutoCAD will lose 80% of their current customers | | to whom? I am extremely curious to find out. | thanks, ||
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.