Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layers stuck in my template

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
jbear0000
1202 Views, 2 Replies

Layers stuck in my template

I am working on the template for my company and making all the styles, labels, etc all consistent to our company standards. This also includes our standards layer names. There are 2 layers that I can't get rid of because they are in use somewhere. C-ROAD-CNTR-STAN and O_PROF-VIEW-TEXT both of these layers do not meet our standards and I can't get rid of them. I went through every style and label to see if I could find where they were being used, but couldn't find them anywhere. I made sure I check the layers for plan, profile, model and section on the display tab of each style.

Since there are so many styles to go through I wanted to try to narrow it down, so I started a new drawing from the template. I purged all of the styles, purged the layers, but they were still there. I set the object layers all to 0. I made sure that every label style default setting was also set to 0. Then I even created all new styles and labels for everything, did a "replace with" and made sure only the new styles were in use, removed the old styles and did a purge. But these layers still are being used somewhere. I tried using LAYTRANS to translate them into the 0 layer, but it doesn't work. There are no blocks in the drawing that are using these layers.

The only command that works to get rid of them is LAYDEL, but doing that makes me concerned that a setting may not have a layer set up for it and it may cause problems in the future.

Attached is a dwg file that I have stripped down as described above. I am using Civil 3D 2012, SP 2. Does anyone know of a way to figure out where a layer is in use? Kind of like how you can now find where a style is in being referenced?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Jeff_M
in reply to: jbear0000

The layer for profiles is set in the Profile Label Style defaults and is locked. To be sure ALL Label styles are set to 0, right click the drawing in Toolspace-Settings, choose Label Style Defaults. If you see a down arrow in the child override column then there is something not using the default, so click that arrow and a red X will appear. When you Apply or OK then it will change all styles to the layer shown, including those that may be locked.

However, doing this still doesn't allow that layer to be purged and I cannot locate the other layer, either. You could just do a LAYMRG to merge the unwanted layer into one that makes sense to merge it with.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 3
jbear0000
in reply to: Jeff_M

Thanks Jeff, LAYMRG took care of those layers.

It seems that some of the styles were still referencing those old layers for some reason. I tried starting a new drawing from acad.dwt, so I had something that was totally empty to start with. Then I imported the styles and settings from my template. Those layers came along with the styles, but I was able to purge them. So I don't know why they were there, but LAYMRG did work. Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report