Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LAYER STATES in two separate viewports

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
mcloughlin
2695 Views, 6 Replies

LAYER STATES in two separate viewports

I have a drawing in paperspace with two separate viewports, an overall view and a detail below it at a different scale. There are layers that must show in paperspace ONLY in one viewport, and layers that must show in paperspace ONLY in the other viewport.

Naturally, this means that all layers intended to show in BOTH viewports must be ON in paperspace, but that SOME layers must be frozen in the UPPER viewport but visible in the LOWER, and conversely that those layers shown in the LOWER (detail) viewport must be frozen in the UPPER viewport, in order to avoid doubling up.

This was very easy in LDD; in model space all the layers to be shown were left on, and in paperspace the viewport freezes were used to sort those that were to appear or be invisible in each of the two viewports in the drawing.

However, once these parameters are set up in model space and paperspace as required, and the drawing looks the way it should, I create the 0 PLOT layer state and click SAVE as shown in the appended JPG, and BOOM!: "Current layer state: *UNSAVED*," as shown in the appended JPG. This persists whether or not either or both of the "restore options" checkboxes is checked or unchecked, and believe me, we've tried all the combinations.

Layer States 20 Mar 2014.jpg

Has Autodesk in its wisdom somehow made this simple task more complicated than it was in LDD? Thanks for any assistance.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Pointdump
in reply to: mcloughlin

M,

I'm curious. If LDT does everything faster and easier, why are you working in Civil 3D?

VP_Freeze.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 7
Pointdump

M,

Your question got me to thinking about layers and plotting. I don't plot much, so I didn't realize how many new commands there are in the Layer Properties Manager. Now I'm reading through the Help Section and discovering a world of cool new functionality. Thank you.

VP_Headings.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 4 of 7
AllenJessup

I dou bt that LDD vs Civi 3D has anything to do with it. Possibly 2009 vs your version. Remember. If you restore a layout layerstate in modelspace you will get unexpected results and the Current layerstate will say unsaved. Don't know if this applies to your situation.

Allen

from my nook tablet

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
mcloughlin

I'm running Civil 3D 2014, but have arrived straight from LDD, hence the comparison.  In LDD, one set one's layer state, and in paperspace one used the viewport freeze option to control what was seen in multiple viewports.  Switching between paperspace and model had no effect on layer state stability and produced no unexpected results.  I remain mystified.  There must be some setting that permits the elimination of unexpected results. 

Thanks for the response, though. 

Message 6 of 7
Jay_B

@mcloughlin wrote:

I create the 0 PLOT layer state and click SAVE as shown in the appended JPG, and BOOM!: "Current layer state: *UNSAVED*," as shown in the appended JPG.

As far as I can tell the *UNSAVED* doesn't seem to mean a whole lot in regards to selecting SAVE in the Layer State Manager.

When saving a Layer State for the scenario you've described as using the pick freeze /  VP FREEZE option within a Viewport they seem to work as expected.
Attached is a dwg which has text on 2 separate layers, Layer 1 & Layer 2 and contains 2 Viewports. 3 Layer States were created form within MS
of the Viewports. See attached dwg and click in MS of VP and choose any of the 3 available Layer States and Select "Restore". 
Are you creating the Layer States from within MS of the viewports and are you choosing "Restore" to set the desired Layer State in a given VP?
BTW - Clicking on that arrow @ lower right of the Layer States Manager will expand the dialog. dwg was created in 2014.
C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 7 of 7
AllenJessup
in reply to: Jay_B

Jay_B wrote:

As far as I can tell the *UNSAVED* doesn't seem to mean a whole lot in regards to selecting SAVE in the Layer State Manager.

Yes. I just had one of those DUH moments. "Unsaved" refers to the current Layer State in the drawing not in the dialog box. It only changes after you restore a Layer State. Even if the layers in the drawing match one of the Layer States it doesn't change the "Current Layer State" until you restore one. Doesn't matter if it's identical to the layer state in the drawing.

That's an old dialog box and it was probably programed to only reference itself.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report