Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layer Question

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Pointdump
209 Views, 6 Replies

Layer Question

Playing with an old Softdesk drawing. I use Convert Softdesk Points to make C3D Points. Then I start making Description Keys. Yes, I know I'm supposed to make them ahead of time, but it's easier when you can look in Edit Points Panorama to see the descriptions. So I make a few description keys and then Apply Description Keys to All Points. All this time I haven't changed my current layer. It's "Grading", and it's got a blue color. But my FL MED WASH Pts are now supposed to be Magenta. That tells me they are still on the "Grading" layer. How can I put my FL MED WASH Pts on the "Medium Wash" layer?

WhatLayer.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
g_k50
in reply to: Pointdump

The layer can be set in the description key panorama

Message 3 of 7
Pointdump
in reply to: g_k50

I did that. I did Apply Description Keys. I did REA. Still not on layer "Medium Wash".

Deskey_Layer.PNG

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 4 of 7
g_k50

reimport the points.

Come On Man, Happy Thanksgiving.

Message 5 of 7
Pointdump

Happy Thanksgiving g_k50!

The drawing is an old Softdesk drawing. I got the points by converting Softdesk Points, so I guess I could export, then import the points. But then I might have doubles. So I should probably erase the points after exporting. Might be easier to just start a new drawing. But I'd really like to understand how to know what layer a point is on by design, not by accident or guess. It's a problem I've been working on for three years now. 

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 6 of 7
g_k50

I remember when I used to create blocks

If I had all the lines on Zero layer then the block would pickup the attributes of the layer it was inserted on.

but the block would keep the layer attributes of the lines if they were on any other layer when created.

There is an EATTEXT command that will extract data from points and create a CSV file.

That might cut some steps.

Good Luck.

Message 7 of 7
Pointdump

Thanks g_k50.

I didn't know about the extract information command. I'm not sure if that would be useful or not, but at least I know about it.

I just figured out that you can assign a layer to an entire point group in the point editor. So many fields, and it's waaaaay off to the right. I think I'm going to forget about description keys. 

Go home. Have some turkey tomorrow.

Thanks.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report