Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layer not what it appears to be

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
randyowens3203
246 Views, 2 Replies

Layer not what it appears to be

At this time, this is my biggest complaint with Civil 3D: My drawing has many layers and overlapping objects and it's necessary to use layer manager constantly. Therefore, I will only have layers on that I need at any given time. So I'm working on a corridor, and I create temporary alignment station/offset labels. I have a style whose layer is, let's say XYZ. In the drawing I'm on layer 0. I place the label, and it does not display. After turning on all layers, and searching throught the congestion and finally locating my label. I click on it, and properties says it's on layer 0. My style says it's on layer XYZ, but by process of elimination, I find that it's on the layer of the alignment. Does anyone have a work-around that would make this simpler? I understand about default layers under "edit drawing settings", but do I have to change this everytime I create an object or text? I would love to be able to override the default layer.

Randy A. Owens
Southland Engineering, Inc.
Win 7 64BIT
C3D 2013
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
IanMcClain
in reply to: randyowens3203

Change your styles to be on layer 0, then your objects will inhert the properties of the current layer, much like blocks. You can control what defualt layers the objects get created on by going to Drawing Settings and looking in the Object Layer tab.

Ian McClain
Message 3 of 3
randyowens3203
in reply to: IanMcClain

That sounds like a good idea. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Randy A. Owens
Southland Engineering, Inc.
Win 7 64BIT
C3D 2013

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report