Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layer Name Convention

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
ignich
1420 Views, 5 Replies

Layer Name Convention

I am working on a large scale project that requires a specific standard layer naming convention as specified by the client.  The layer names do not follow the pre-set layer names from Civil 3D.  I am wondering if there is a way to create a new drawing template (using my required layer names) that I can use as a master drawing for all my C3D work?  I have tried changing layer names individually in the settings but that seems tedious as I have to make the same changes in all the drawings (10-15 drawings to start).  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ccoles
in reply to: ignich

We've had to do this for a couple of our clients as well. If you open your template and change the layer names there, all the styles and settings will follow the change in layer name. 'Save As' it out as a new template just for that client, and you'll be set. Just make sure any new files for that client uses the new template and not your old global one.

Windows 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5610, Dual-Xeon 2.6Ghz, 16 Gig RAM
Civil 3D 2013
Message 3 of 6
JeffPaulsen

Take a look at the layer translator. I have not tried using it yet in C3D but I would think as long as you are doing a 1 to 1 layer translation (not combining multiple players into one) it should work fine.

Jeff Paulsen
Civil 3D 2020.4 | Win 10 Pro N 64-bit
Xeon W-2223 @ 3.60GHz, 32GB Ram | NVidia Quadro P2200
Message 4 of 6
timreed1
in reply to: JeffPaulsen

Layer translator might work just fine.  I personally have had issues with it screwing up some of my special survey symbols.

Another approach might be to use Autocad MAP.  Everybody's got it, hardly anyone knows what to do with it.

I would copy all 15 of the clients drawings into a new folder so you don't accidentally screw up the originals.

Now, create a new blank drawing and attach all 15 other drawings.  MAPWSPACE will turn on the map workspace so you can attach.

Next, creat a query to bring in everything from all the other drawings, usually Layer=* works well.

This might create a jumbled mess, but don't worrry about it.

Now you could run a layer translater, or just change all the layers by hand.

Do a save back to all the source drawings, then detach them.

Delete this working drawing.

Message 5 of 6
neilyj666
in reply to: timreed1

Another approach might be to use Autocad MAP.  Everybody's got it, hardly anyone knows what to do with it.

I'd agree with that - my knowledge is pretty much  limited to MAPCLEAN and MAPTRIM and occasional MAPIIMPORT...!!!

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 6 of 6
ignich

Thank you for all the great tips! I'll give them a try.  At the very least, it gives me an opportunity to learn new commands and techniques.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report