Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layer Manager not showing layers...

30 REPLIES 30
SOLVED
Message 1 of 31
dave.babcock
83177 Views, 30 Replies

Layer Manager not showing layers...

When I open layer manager, it doesnt show my layers, it is just all blank, not even a "0" layer. I can click in the area and it shows the layer but that is it. I searched for a fix but was unable to find a fix. I have updated my graphics card driver but that didnt fix it. I have attached a screen shot to show what it looks like. I am running C3D 2009. Thanks for any help.

30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31
jporter
in reply to: dave.babcock

I saw something similar to this with a co-worker's system back in AutoCAD 2009.  Try playing with your display settings.  Also, does anything appear when you type in CLASSICLAYER at the command line?

Jason

Jason Porter
ASTI Civil Solutions Technical Advisor
www.asti.com
Message 3 of 31

Hi,

>> it doesnt show my layers

First check if you have checked the "invert Layer Filter".

And a special question: do you use an Intel graphic card?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 31
dave.babcock
in reply to: jporter

I typed CLASSICLAYER and it opened an a layer manager that was good....Thanks. I looked in my docked layer manager and it wasnt fixed there but I can type the command to get it so I can edit layers. Thanks Jason.

Message 5 of 31
jporter

Glad that helped out, but it's just a band-aid.  It doesn't resolve the new layer dialog box issue.  I suggest tweaking your display settings or exploring your graphic card as Alfred suggested. 

Good day,

Jason

Jason Porter
www.asti.com
Message 6 of 31

Alfred,

I do not have the invert layer checked. The graphics card is an ATI FirePro V5800.

Message 7 of 31

Hi,

Have you checked for the last ServicePacks for Civil3D? (>>>look here<<<)

Do you have your layer-manager opened on the first or on the secondary monitor?

And what operating system do you have?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 8 of 31

Dave,

I have seen this happen with a corrupted desktop shortcut.  Try starting Civil 3d from All Programs ->Autodesj->Civil 3D.  If your layers look fine with this method, you just need to recreate the desktop shortcut.

Jessica Palmer
Message 9 of 31
jepeit
in reply to: JessicaPalmer

Not sure if this helps the troubleshooting process but I'm seeing the same thing in Autocad Electrical 2010.  It only happens from time to time and restarting autocad fixes it while opening and closing the layer manager doesn't.  Would this rule out graphics card issues?

Message 10 of 31
todbiker

I see this topic listed as resolved, but my co-worker just helped me fix this issue on my work machine by other means.

Using Carlson with Autocad 2013 and Service Pack 2 installed.

Seperate video card, AMD Radeon HD 7570 with 1024mb dedicated video memory, running Windows 7 on a Dell XPS i7 3.4GHz, with 12GB Ram

I'm no savvy computer guy with regards to all the hardware, especially graphics cards, so I did some online research and thought that was the culprit.

The problem of no layers showing up in the layer manager and lack of functionality when attempting creation of  a layer filter were my issues.

And no I didn't have the "invert layer filter" box checked and "ClassicLayer" got the layers to show up but I still couldn't get the layer filter creation to work. ( hence the "band-aid" comment by one previous poster)

The solution for me was go to

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Performance Information and Tools

Pick "adjust visual effects" on left side under "control panel home"

Under the "visual effects" tab, uncheck "enable desktop composition"

You lose previews of whatever you have on your taskbar and instead just get a detail listing when you hover over open active items, but you also reduce the load on your graphics card memory and now my layer manager is back to proper function.

Thank you to my knowledgeable co-worker Imran!

Message 11 of 31
Mike_McAvoy

I am experiencing the same problem routinely with Civil 3D 2015. Brand new install on a brand new Dell Optiplex 9020 i7-4770 with 16GB of memory and two display adapters (AMD Radeon HD8490 & Intel HD Graphics 4600).  I've tried adjusting the visual effects under the Performance Options dialog box in the Windows Control Panel by unchecking "Enable desktop composition" as suggested in another post, but with no lasting effect. 

Think is, I experience no other problems of any kind with any other programs OR any other dialog boxes within Civil 3D. I'm assuming that if this was a graphic interface problem btwn ACAD and my video cards, the other dialog boxes that I use would show similar problems.

Screen capture below.

screencap.jpg

Message 12 of 31
jporter
in reply to: Mike_McAvoy

I'm assuming your running Windows 7 - This could be your graphics card.  I looked up both your graphics card on the Autodesk recommended list and neither of them are there:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert?id=18844534&siteID=123112  

Here are the settings I used:  

GraphcisSetup.jpg

Jason Porter
www.asti.com
Message 13 of 31
jtuohy

Thanks Jessica! Same thing happened to me and it was due to a bad shortcut.

Message 14 of 31

It works. Thanks Jessica

Message 15 of 31
jbloom

I had the same problem in AutoCAD Map 3D 2017, but deleting/recreating the shortcut seemed to do the trick. Thank you Jessica!

Message 16 of 31
bryan.weaver
in reply to: jbloom

One of my users is also experiencing not being able to see the layers.  However if I start Civil 3D 2017 in a blank drawing, the layer dialog box displays correctly.  When he opens the drawing he wants to work on, the layer dialog box does not show the layers (see image).  If another user opens the same file, they do not experience this issue.  I tried replacing the shortcut, but that was not the cause.  I then unchecked the "enable desktop composition" and that seems to have corrected the issue.  At the moment I consider this a Band-Aid and not an actual fix.

Layer Dialog Box Issue.jpg

Message 17 of 31
jtuohy
in reply to: bryan.weaver

Are your users using the desktop shortcut to access the program? Try replacing the shortcut, it worked for me!

Message 18 of 31
fjelo

I found that re-starting AutoCAD will solve the problem

Message 19 of 31

Jessica, recreating the desktop shortcut helped me....thanks for the tip.

Message 20 of 31
zack.boyd
in reply to: jporter

Use the CLASSICLAYER command as described, then click apply.

I found I have this issue when I copy paste from other drawings.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report