I have a performnace issue that I have been experiencing in Civil 3d 2013 and previous versions. I have a long delay after ending the layer freeze command when in layout mode. This happens for many of my drawings though not all. Purging and auditing seem to have no effect.
Civil 3d does not run the regen command after ending the layer freeze command, but it seems as though this is what's happening. Normal behaviour is when I freeze a layer and upon exiting the command the layers are no longer shown, no delays.
What could cause this?
Yes, sorry about the confusion. It only happpens when in a layout tab.
more info: After running the freeze command, if I want to change layouts I must click the different layout, wait for a refresh, then click the layout again before it will switch.
Try going into the Options dialog box, System tab, and check Cache model tab and all layouts. Maybe this will help. Also make sure your hardware acceleation is not on (3DCONFIG command)
I'm giving this a try now, Tony. My hardware acceleration was already disabled but the Layout regen options was set to regen when switching layout.
That should help. If it still lags and you have any of these open, close them.
Layer manager, xref manager, toolspace, properties dialog and anything similar.
In Layouts/Paper Space I typically see things working faster when these dockables are closed.
Instead of using the "new" Layer Palette, try using the "old fashioned" Layer Dialog box. You can either enter the command CLASSICLAYER, or, set LAYERDLGMODE to 0.
Also try setting SHOWLAYERUSAGE to a value of 0 as well.
John, I do remember this help in the past with some performance. I'll try that out again. I have just been in the habit lately of leaving those windows open most of the time.
murray-clack, I'll check out the SHOWLAYERUSAGE variable and see what results I get. I'll also try using the classic layer manager too.
No luck so far. Showlayerusage was already set to 0. I am keeping all dockable palettes closed and using the classic layer manager. Model and Layout tabs are all cached. I also decided to run recoverall on this project and nothing seems to have changed. Since I am working with files that were created in 2008 and have been upgraded each year I am just going to bet something happened along the way to cause some issues. If I find the culprit I'll update the thread.