Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lat-Long label doesn't work (Civil 3D 2013)

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
jporter
5864 Views, 15 Replies

Lat-Long label doesn't work (Civil 3D 2013)

In Civil 3D 2013 > Settings tab > General > Label Sytles > Note . . .create a new label style that will label the latitude and longitute of a location in your drawing.  Assign your drawing a coordinate system.  Now label  a point in your drawing with the newly created Lat-Long label.  Tell me if it works.  I've not had any luck with it.  I can do it fine in Civil 3D 2012, but no matter what I do (old drawing, new drawing, any template) it just doesn't seem to work in Civil 3D 2013. 

Thanks for any input,

Jason

Jason Porter
ASTI Civil Solutions Technical Advisor
www.asti.com
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
BrianHailey
in reply to: jporter

I reported this to tech support about a week after the program was released. Other labels seem to work but the general note label doesn't.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 3 of 16
jporter
in reply to: BrianHailey

Brian,

I wanted to post it here before I reported it to Autodesk to see anyone had any luck.  I appreciate your reply.  I, too, will report it to Autodesk. 

Thanks again,

Jason

Jason Porter
www.asti.com
Message 4 of 16
davidrenaud3020

I have the same problem. This is the contents of what I want to label:

Lat.<[Surface Latitude(Udeg|FDMSd|P6|RN|DPSn|CU|AP|EN|DZN|OF)]>
Lon.<[Surface Longitude(Udeg|FDMSd|P6|RN|DPSn|CU|AP|EN|DZN|OF)]>
Ground El.<[Surface Elevation(Uft|P1|RN|AP|GC|UN|Sn|OF)]>

Another user in our office ran into the same problem. He was able to work around it by copying a Lat/Lon lable style from a previous version (2102) drawing that we knew it worked. The code used in that label was:

<[Surface Elevation(Uft|P3|RN|Sn|OF|AP|GC|UN)]>
<[Surface Latitude(Udeg|FDMSdSp|P6|RN|DPSn|CU|AP|EN|DZN|OF)]>
<[Surface Longitude(Udeg|FDMSdSp|P6|RN|DPSn|CU|AP|EN|DZN|OF)]>

This is not working for me in my drawing. I have the coordinate system set in Wisconsin County Coordinates, Rock County, but switched to State Plane to see if poking at it would make a difference. It did not, no matter which coordinate system I have set, and it doesn't matter if I set it by right clicking the drawing name on the Settings tab, or do it by using the Map menu commands, the label doesn't work. 

This is kind of screwing me - I need the data for an FAA report. AT this point, since I no onger have 2012 installed inb this machine, I will use a Trimble product to convert the points I need latitude and longitude. This needs to be addressed.

dr

Dell Precision

Windows 7

C3D 2012

everything is capable and up to date.

Message 5 of 16
jporter
in reply to: davidrenaud3020

After speaking with someone at Autodesk I was informed that this is known glitch in Civil 3D 2013. 

JP

Jason Porter
www.asti.com
Message 6 of 16
davidrenaud3020

Any work arounds that anyone knows of yet? I am trying labels from ealrier versions, need to get this thing out today. My alternative to to convert using other software and putting the positions into an Mtext object. Which kinda blows ....

reno

Message 7 of 16
Jeff_M

@davidrenaud3020 wrote:

Any work arounds that anyone knows of yet?

reno

Create a Surface for labeling. Draw a polyline around the extents of the area you need to label. Give the surface a no display, or display just the border. Create a surface elevation label style which has just the surface latitude and surface longitude in the text component. Label spot elevations of that surface using the LatLong elevation label style.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 8 of 16
davidrenaud3020
in reply to: Jeff_M

Thanks Jeff. I tried that, it's in the code I posted above to get the surface lat/lon, and it doesn't work for me.

I've tried labeling just a spot that has nothing to do with a surface - no joy.

I think I am going to convert using some other software and get into into Mtext or Multileaders before I burn up my Christmas bonus ($40 in a good year) in blown budget time. 

Message 9 of 16
Jeff_M

The spot must lie within the surface....

You can also use points and label their LatLong. 

I've used both methods successfully in 2013.

Oh, and, of course, the drawing must have a coordinate system set.

Using the Zone you mentioned above:

11-21-2012 8-44-39 AM.png

EESignature
Message 10 of 16
davidrenaud3020

Yeah, it labels the surface elevation when I am on the surface, but does not come up with data for the lat/lon - the place where they would be are simply blank.

I have also tried this code:

Lat.<[Latitude(Udeg|FDMSd|P6|RN|DPSn|CU|AP|EN|DZN|OF)]>
Lon.<[Longitude(Udeg|FDMSd|P6|RN|DPSn|CU|AP|EN|DZN|OF)]>

which is just for any old point, but it doesn't work either. I wonder of it has something to do with the coordinate system I am using. In Wisconsin we have County coordinates - each County has its own system in order to eliminate grid to ground distortion. But, Autodesk has had our county systems listed as options for the definition for many years, so I have a hard time believing that all the sudden it woudl be broken.

I just tried it in a drawing that I had a USGS image in UTM Zone 16, Meters, and it doesn't work in there either.

Something fishy is going on. I have used this label for years, and for years in Land Desktop before that, and it has never not worked.

Thanks for yournput Jeff. Maybe I should mail you the drawing so you can label it for me  🙂

Message 11 of 16
Jeff_M

Not that they were supposed to have corrected the LatLong issue (at least according to the ReadMe) but have you applied Hotfix2 for C3D2013? If not, may want to give it a shot...I have applied it here, so maybe that's the difference?

I will take a look at the drawing if you'd like.

EESignature
Message 12 of 16

Not sure about the Hotfix, Iw ill give it a shot. thanks again.

Message 13 of 16
rrien07

This could possibly be a few different items:1. Go to your settings tab and set your Datum to where your project is located.
2. Take a look at your annotation scale, are you still at your original scale or did it get changed somehow down 1:1 from something like 1:40?
3. Look at your style to see if the text has been turned off?

I was able to see my lat and long just fine in 2013 as soon as I set my Datum up.

I have attached the test file that was created in 2013 for you to use.

Thank You,

Robert Rien

U.S. CAD

Message 14 of 16
jporter

Sorry for chiming in so late here (considering I started all this mess), I've been using the surface label alternative. I still don't know why the general note doesn't work.  Regardless, if you don't have a coordinate system assigned to the drawing then you surface label alternative definitely won't work.  And, Jeff, thanks for recommending the surface label alternative. I've used it, but was just wondering why, when I assign my drawing a coordinate system, the general note doesn't work. 

Thanks for all your input,

JP

Jason Porter
www.asti.com
Message 15 of 16
BrianHailey
in reply to: rrien07

Robert,

Point labels work just fine, it's the general note labels that are broken.

See your same drawing attached.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 16 of 16
jeremy.2012

Alright...I ran into this problem a few weeks ago.  I found this thread then and realized that it wasn't me, just another glitch on Autodesk's end.

Anywho, I found a breakthrough regarding labeling locations on your drawing with the corresponding lat/longs (many of you may know how to do this but it was exciting for me).

What I did was create miscellaneous points, using the manual setting.  If you want to give it a specific point number, elevation, etc...go ahead you can.

After you place the points on your drawing, open up your tool space and under the Settings tab, expand Point, then Label Styles, right click they point label style you're using and then select edit.

Under the Layout tab there is a dropdown menu titled "Component Name" select Point Description.  The Text submenu should already be expanded.  Select the Value box for the Contents and the 3 little periods should show up; click that. 

Under the Properties tab, delete whatever is in the display window.   Click the dropdown menu and select Latitude and then click the right arrow to add it to your display window.  You must deselect the newly added text to add your longitude or else it will overwrite it.  Then add longitude.

If you get it to work, you should be able to drag your point around and it will give your real-time lat/longs. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report