Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lat and Long Precisions

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
ToddRogers-WPM
677 Views, 13 Replies

Lat and Long Precisions

I have a customer who needs to have a precision of 5 decimal places for Lat and Long.  Currently the style can be set to 4 (0.0001). 

Anyone know of a way to get 0.00001?

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
IanMcClain
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

You'll need to go to the drawing settings > ambient settings > lat long and up the precision. You will also need to update the text components of any label styles or make new ones for any labels that you want to show the extra precision.

Ian McClain
Message 3 of 14
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: IanMcClain

The ambient settings does not reflect the label itself.  In the label style, there is only the 4 decimal place precision.  Making a new precision is what I would like to do.  Any suggesions on how this is accomplished?

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 4 of 14
Maine-iac

"The customer is always right." is bull dukey! Tell them you are in civil engineering NOT tool and die. Sounds **** to me. Are they on the equator and splitting hairs?

Civil 3D 2022.1
Windows 10 x64
HP ZBook 15 G5
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.60GHz
32 GB RAM
Message 5 of 14
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: Maine-iac

I agree.  It's airport work.  Total different animal.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 6 of 14
Maine-iac

Oops. I see I've been censored. I didn't think something that rhymed with banal was that bad. After all there are quite a few of us in civil who get a little too much of it now and then

Civil 3D 2022.1
Windows 10 x64
HP ZBook 15 G5
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.60GHz
32 GB RAM
Message 7 of 14
awood

@ToddRogers-WPM

Hi Todd, I had a client ask the same question just today (5 years after you :-).

Did you ever find a way to get 5 decimal places of precision for Lat Long (they are looking at the Point Table Style)

Thanks,

AWood

Message 8 of 14
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: awood

@awood Looks like it works in 2017...

2017-03-27_8-22-08.jpg

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 9 of 14
Jeff_M

Not if you want DDMMSS.SSSSS
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 10 of 14
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: Jeff_M

Good call @Jeff_M, that's correct.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 11 of 14
sboon

0.00001 seconds converts to 2.77 x 10-9 radians.  I don't know what the limit of the internal database is for angular precision, but I'm guessing that you've found it.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 12 of 14
rl_jackson

I just recently bumped into this situation while creating a Point Table using the SHP Import/Export Point Tables tool. All unit precision is controlled by the ambient settings in the resulting table. And my requirements specifically state 5 places past the decimal point in DMS. This appears to be an issue the Core AutoCAD as the UNITS precision only goes to 4 places as well. (SMH) I'm now wondering how FDOT create a State Kit, that requires a precision that's unachievable.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 13 of 14
RobertEVs
in reply to: Maine-iac

Reminds me of the HBO movie Doomsday Gun where the Iraqis wanted this arms dealer to build them a weapon that would reach the promised land. Problem came down to U.K. customs. They wanted to know why segments of "oil pipe" were being manufactured to .001 tolerances.
Message 14 of 14
rl_jackson
in reply to: RobertEVs

If NGS can publish conversions to 5 places beyond the decimal, I would think that this program would do the same if not more...... I don't think this is an issue of precision as much as it is performance or lack thereof.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report