Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laser Scan data > Post Processing Software > Civil 3d 2014

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
travhaiz
2669 Views, 2 Replies

Laser Scan data > Post Processing Software > Civil 3d 2014

My company has recently purchased a Riegl laser scanner and I'm trying to determine the best post processing software that integrates with Civil 3d 2014. Half of my people are microstation so they are going to be using TOPOdot software to process the registered data and generate linework, tins, breaklines etc., into microstation. I am an Civil 3d guy so I've been given the task of finding suitable software to process my pointcloud data in before I bring it into Civil 3d. I'm looking into Cloudworx, Descartes, and some others. Is there anyone out here who has any exp. or insight into what my best options are? I know cloudworx has a plug-in for Civil 3d. Was wondering if anyone you uses this workflow could tell me a little about it please?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
dgorsman
in reply to: travhaiz

Cloudworx is fairly straightforward.  If you are planning on having many users access the same point cloud at the same time, look into the Cyclone Server software.  You can find more information from Leica; their resellers here have been very helpful for in-person demonstrations and support.

Also look into ReCap from AutoDesk.  Not sure how well it would work with non-AutoDesk software though.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 3
dgordon
in reply to: travhaiz

my nightmare with lazer scanners is that in 2013 only a fraction of the points actually comes into C3D. about 1/8th. and when the point cloud was big enough around 9 millions points displayed C3D went into a continuous loop of trying to display the points and I couldn't do anything with the drawing.
Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report