Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.LAS Lidar Import keep getting an error

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
ebeam
1588 Views, 6 Replies

.LAS Lidar Import keep getting an error

In Civil 3D 2014 while import .las or .asc file using point cloud I keep getting an error in processing data message.

I have in the past brought in the data successfully (2012, though not often) Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong?

Datum and projection are correct, the data goings in to ArcGIS(had GIS group five the file a try).

The error message in not any more specific than "there was an error processing data"

Thank you in advance

Erin

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
antoniovinci
in reply to: ebeam

In order to reproduce your issue, we should try to load that point cloud: would you share the link to it?

Message 3 of 7
ebeam

I haven't been able to create a point cloud. That is actually what I want to do. I've watched videos and read the instructions and think I am following it correctly, obviously though something is amiss :).

What would I need to send you in order for you to recreate the issue? The files I'm trying to import or the drawing? I will need to check with my administrator before sending the file.

Thank you

Erin Haggith
Engineering Assistant
Public Works Engineering
City of Bellingham, WA
360-778-7933
Email: ehaggith@cob.org

My incoming and outgoing email messages
are subject to public disclosure requirements
per RCW 42.56
Message 4 of 7
sboon

Post the las file, or a link to download it.  It sounds like there is some sort of corruption problem in that file, although the fact that someone using other software can import it leaves me scratching my head.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 7
antoniovinci

A .LAS file is definetely a point cloud, so ask your admin to upload it on his FTP server, after compressing it.

Message 6 of 7
tscheevel

I've had the same experience. Our county's las files are very large and live on the GIS department's part of our server system somewhere, so C3D has to access them over the county's network. I think it just takes too long and the process times out and throws that worthless error message, but that's just my guess. I've gotten around the problem by copying the las file and pasting it on my local drive and then running the C3D point cloud creation process using the local copy of the las file. Make sure you have plenty of storage space when you start working with point clouds. Each new one comes with about half a million kilobytes of new files.

Message 7 of 7
ebeam

Thank you for the suggestion. That could be my issue as well. When I had success it was from my local drive(had an extra one added just for the lidar).

I also have ALL the lidar data not just the ground data as the GIS format is. Thanks again for the ideas.

Erin Haggith
Engineering Assistant
Public Works Engineering
City of Bellingham, WA
360-778-7933
Email: ehaggith@cob.org

My incoming and outgoing email messages
are subject to public disclosure requirements
per RCW 42.56

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report