Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large projects...!!!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
dionisis
246 Views, 7 Replies

Large projects...!!!

I have a pentium 4 laptop 3.4Ghz with 2Gb RAM but i work on a project in civil 3d with 12000 points where i have to create a corridor model for a 10Km road.As soon as i create profiles and corridor models my computer performs very slow.Any solutions? What am i doing wrong?
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
BrianHailey
in reply to: dionisis

Version?
Service Pack?

Brian

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 3 of 8
dionisis

Civil 3d 2006.no service packs.
Message 4 of 8
jmodglin

dionisis,
Upgrade if you can but if not use the project system to separate your information as much as possible. This included your corridors (keep them to 2.5km or so).

We just finished a 12+km freeway project with 2006. It is so much easier to work in 2007.SP3 for the next phase that it is not even funny.

So I will say it again - upgrade if you can. However, the methodology is the same - split your data as much as possible. There are some useful webcasts and blogs to help you understand this. The great thing about 2007 is that it can handle corridor rebuilds much better and faster than 2006 could.

Josh
Message 5 of 8
jwedding

And just wait 'til you get your hands on '08...they're even better again.

--
James Wedding, P.E.
Engineered Efficiency, Inc.
Civil 3D 2007
XP Tablet, SP2, 2GHz, 2G
www.eng-eff.com
www.civil3d.com
Message 6 of 8
sboon

If you have to stay in 2006 the important thing is to not force the computer to show you anything more than what you really need. Change your surface to a display style that shows nothing. Use only the minimum for alignment and profile labels. Build only the corridor feature lines that you need for viewing or for surfaces. If possible, get rid of any sample line groups until you absolutely have to have them.
Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 7 of 8
dionisis

Thank you all guys! Very useful information!
Message 8 of 8
dionisis

Where can i find such information? I admit i don't know much about the project system and how i can split my data so i always work in a single drawing which becomes quite big.
Thank you in advance!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report