Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large Paving Area

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
JFN_KSH
700 Views, 6 Replies

Large Paving Area

Spoiler

I'm new to Civil 3D. I need to create a large, unregular, paving area, with some defined point location/elevations (paving area is for a mill). I don't know how to create this? Any hint?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
doni49
in reply to: JFN_KSH

I'm going to assume that you already have the outer boundary drawn.  Since you've said this is for a pavement milling project, I'm also going to assume that the depth will be the same throughout (so that you're just trying to calc the amount of material you're milling out and putting back).

If that's all true, here's how I would do it.

1. Create a featureline from the outer boundary line.
  2. Create a new surface adding the boundary line as a break line.
  3. Paste the EG surface in to the new boundary.
  4. Set the boundary line as an OUTER BOUNDARY for the surface.
  5. Lower the surface by the required depth.

Now you have a surface representing what it will look like after milling.  You can compare this surface to the EG surface to get a volumen calc.

EDIT:  Re number 5, here's where you'll find the option to lower the surface.  And I'm attaching a sample dwg file in which I've done this for an example.  The yellow shape is the outer boundary of the proposed surface.

Surface_RaiseLower.png

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 7
JFN_KSH
in reply to: doni49

Thanks very much! I got as far as step no.3. Could you please elaborate on how to achive step no.3? What an EG surface ("Existing Ground" surface?)? Thanks a bunch!

Message 4 of 7
doni49

In the toolspace, expand your proposed surface (FG).  Take a look at the following screen shot.

Surface_Paste.png

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 5 of 7
doni49

P.S. I thought of this after posting that and it might help you understand better.

When you paste one surface into another, the destination surface will look exactly like the one you're pasting except for the changes that happen to it after the paste operation.  It's similar to copying the pasted surface but in this case it remains dynamically linked where if you copied it, there would be no link.

Don Ireland

Message 6 of 7
doni49

@Anonymous_Francois_Nant wrote:

Thanks very much! I got as far as step no.3. Could you please elaborate on how to achive step no.3? What an EG surface ("Existing Ground" surface?)? Thanks a bunch!

I just noticed the second part of your question (in red above).  This is just a common abreviation around here.

EG surface = Existing Ground 

FG surface = Finish Ground

Don Ireland

Message 7 of 7
JFN_KSH

This is what i call some "expert Elite" support! Thanks for all the details as I'm going to dive into it shortly... Thanks again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report