Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labels not plotting correctly

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
mcanta
1269 Views, 6 Replies

Labels not plotting correctly

Hello.  I'm using Civil 3D 2012.  When it generates labels (alignment stationing, profile station & elevation, etc.), it keeps generating them in layer 0.  It does not matter how I change the styles to the layer that I want. 

It allows me to change the properties of the labels to the layer that I want after the labels have been generated.  They look ok on my computer screen.

However, when I plot the plans, the labels do not follow the lineweights that the layer should be on.  I think it still plotting as if it was layer 0. 

If I explode the labels, I can get them to plot correctly by changing the layer.  

Any ideas? 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
tcorey
in reply to: mcanta

On the Settings tab of Toolspace, find your drawing name. Right click and select Edit Drawing Settings. Go to the Object Layers tab.

There is a good reason for this two-level layer scheme. For example, it allows you to freeze all Surface label layers at once by freezing the layer set in Drawing Settings. To freeze individual Surface label styles, you freeze that style's particular layer as set on the General tab of the Label Style Composer.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 7
troma

I think you may be running into the difference between the object layer; that the label is actually on (shows up in layer toolbar/properties when label is selected) and the style layer, which is set in the label style (and which should control what the label looks like on screen and on paper).

However, I don't know why it would look good on screen but not on paper.

The style layer you can change in the style and all labels will update.

The object layer you can change by selecting the object and putting it on whatever layer.  You can also set the default for this by going into toolspace>settings, right-clicking on your drawing name and going to the layers tab.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 4 of 7
troma
in reply to: tcorey

Tim you're a faster typer than me!

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 5 of 7
tcorey
in reply to: troma

@troma wrote:

Tim you're a faster typer than me!

I'd be faster if I didn't always go five forward, two back...Smiley Wink

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 6 of 7
mcanta
in reply to: tcorey

Thanks for the quick reply.  After changing the object layer where you suggested (both in my Xref file and Sheet file), it's still not plotting correctly.

I should say that under, "Label Style Composer," the preview screen shows the stationing label as a white color no matter what changes I do to the layer, lineweight, and color settings under the general tab, layout tab (contents/format tab), and summary tab (label).

Message 7 of 7
C3D_TomR

Check for ByLayer vs ByBlock in the components of the style.

Tom Richardson

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature
Autodesk Certified Professional in Civil 3D for Infrastructure Design
AutoCAD Certified Professional
------------------------------------
Autodesk AEC Community Blog
Crossing the line with Civil 3D
Twitter | LinkedIn
------------------------------------
Austin CAD User Group Resources
Blog | Discord | LinkedIn

Autodesk Group Network Leader

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report