Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labeling surface section

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
gslyons
477 Views, 8 Replies

Labeling surface section

I want to label the surface sections (eg, fg) in a single location something like what is shown in the attached image.

Currently I am using a major offset label which refers to the surface description* where the surface name is stored. I set the increment to a suitable number which results in multiple labels along the section. I then drag one into position and delete the rest using ctrl-select. While it would be far easier to use multileaders to acheive the correct look, they don't update location with the section views.

I'm sure that there has to be a better way, but I haven't found it in my searchs of these forums and the 'net at large. I'd appreciate any better ideas.

Thanks,

~g

*We use the description to store the 'friendly' name as our object naming standard wouldn't necessarily make sense to the viewer of the plans.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
mathewkol
in reply to: gslyons

I assume you are referring to the elevaiotn labels at certain locations like the botom of ditch, CL, and SW in points?

The best way to attack this is to edit the code set style that is being used to display those corridor sections and add the Point codes and styles accordingly.  Every time a corridor contains those points, they autmoatically get labeled, no manual adding or editing required.

Try this link to learn how.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 9
gslyons

Thanks for the reply.

No, I've got the elevations handled with code sets although the screenshot I attached previously shows a couple of them missing (I caught a corridor I'd forgotten to sample after I posted). What I want to do is label the sections: "Existing Grade" and "Proposed Grade" as shown in the image. The major offset works, but it's a little tediious to determine the appropriate offsets for each section. Ideally, there'd be something like a note label that could reference the name or description of the surface section. Then I could just set the style in the add labels panel and click away.

~g

Message 4 of 9
sboon

Perhaps you could label something else.  I've created two feature lines in this drawing, draped them onto the existing and design surfaces, and then projected them onto the section views.  The labels you can see are displaying the projection source object name.  If I move the featurelines or the design changes then I can update the elevations to reposition the labels.

The annoying part is that I have to go through all of them and put the labels into dragged state. 

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Clipboard01.png

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 9
gslyons
in reply to: sboon

That solution works I suppose, but I'm not certain it's any easier than using an offset label.

With the offset labels, I can at least setup the labeling for a group of sections beforehand and only reposition (offset) the ones that conflict with other section objects. I still have to go through and position them in dragged mode like yours. I'm not sure I want another object to manage (the feature lines), and I don't know if it would be any better to have to go back and forth between the section and the feature line to control positioning.

Don't take this the wrong way, I do like your approach and I'm open to any alternatives that would reduce my click count. I suppose this should be a wish list item (section name note label).

Thanks again,

~g

Message 6 of 9
gslyons

And...    ...is this an unusual requirement? I've been labeling profile and section lines like this since my days on the drafting board. It would seem to be a common need that could be made a whole lot easier...

Message 7 of 9
Jay_B

Another option would be to use Profile Grade Lines with Marker styles.

Might work if there's some flexibility in the look and placement as if you want leaders they'd

need to be defined in the marker style block something like this.

Vertical label and line would be cleaner with this approach.

surface labels.JPG

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 8 of 9
sboon

Typically we label them on one section per sheet, and sometimes only once on the first sheet of a larger book of sections.

I thought about it some more and if the section views were predictable then I could have extracted two corridor featurelines (maintaining the dynamic link) and used them for positioning the labels.  Less work to update things that way.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 9 of 9
gslyons

Yeah, I would typically put them on the first section of each sheet but I've got a PM who wants them on every section. It's cluttered looking and takes more time than I'd like...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report