Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labeling a line with bearing and distance

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
RICHMASSEY2104
23632 Views, 12 Replies

Labeling a line with bearing and distance

I have been using Land Desktop 2004-2009 my entire surveying career and now that we have Civil 2010 I am struggling with the whole ribbon command setup and finding anything that I used to click on from the pull down menus. The biggest one is finding a way to label a line with bearing and distance. I used to just use static labels but now I am unable to find it. I wouldn't be opposed to using Dynamic labels then exploding it either but I can't find that option either. Under help it says under the Annotation tab there is a labels and tables tab, but I only have the tables tab. If someone could assist me that would be great.
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: RICHMASSEY2104

In Civil3D you have to have a line for every bearing and distance you want to label and they will be dynamic to the line unless you explode as you stated. If you want static, you can explode as you say or try a lisp program. You can probably find one if you google it. Some here wouldn't recommand the use of lisp cause if the line moved, you have text floating to nothing. But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to get the job done, which some here don't understand. Civil3D is not surveyor friendly when it comes to labeling the survey way in my opinion. Edited by: azrdgldr on Jun 3, 2010 9:51 AM
Message 3 of 13

Any idea on how this dynamic labeling is done? Right now I can't even label the lines I have for section lines which you would think would be a pretty basic function. I need a bearing on top and a distance on the bottom. I could type them all in but that would be much more time consuming then just clicking the line.
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

Go to your Annotate menu on the ribbon and then select Add Labels and set the box as shown in attachment.
Message 5 of 13

I feel like an idiot here. I do not have a labels tab under the annotation ribbon. I want it but not sure how to get it. I'm sure this is part of my problem. I have used the AutoCad Classic view, the 2d Drafting & Annotation, and the 3d modeling but it is not under any of these. If you have any idea how to load that into my ribbon that would be much appreciated. Then maybe I can get the box for the labels that you posted above.
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

From the Civil3D workspace, select Annotate from the Ribbon menu, select Add Labels. If you are starting in Civil3D, I recommand you forget everything on how you did it in LDD, Civil3D is a different beast, doing the same things but in a totaly different way. Do the tutorials, they should help you also.
Message 7 of 13
yosephk

A co-worker had the same issue. If you don't see Civil 3D workspace you are working on Classic AutoCAD. Bearing and distance labeling feature is availabel only in civil 3d. I don't know why.
Windows 10 Pro x 64
16 GB Ram
Intel Xeon E3-1220 V2 @ 3.1 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro 600
Civil 3D 2019
Message 8 of 13

That is exactly why. I was using the icon for Civil 3d for Autocad 2010 instead of Civil 3d. Now I have the right ribbon with everything there. Thanks to both of you for the timely responses.
Message 9 of 13
idrees58
in reply to: Anonymous

I am astonished to read your reponse, you and everyone else at Autodesk keep telling people that Civil 3D is a different beast. I just recently purchased Civil 3D 2015 after spending almost $7500. I am very annoyed to know that Autodesk took few commands out which most of surveyors used very frequently, to name a few following is the list:

1. Dynamic and Static labeling of a line and curve with availibility of toolbar(Icons)

2. Label offset from building corner to the property line.

3. Drawing a Building foot-print by providing distances right or left.

4. What happened to civil toolbars where you could put several frequent commands.

Now, let me ask you why autodesk is not making these lisp routines avaiable to the customers? You can put any beast out ther as long it addreses the concerns of surveyor or engineer.

Message 10 of 13
jonathan2A8RJ
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymouswrote:
Go to your Annotate menu on the ribbon and then select Add Labels and set the box as shown in attachment.

Howdy,

This answer was most helpful. I am getting the proper dialogue displayed, although I now am encountering the issue of text size being too small. Any ideas on how to make or change the text size?

Message 11 of 13

C3D is style driven, and everything in C3D - labels, structure, pipes, text - has a style. To alter a current entity in your drawing, right-click it, and choose "edit label style". That will open a dialogue box in which you can alter every component of your label.

To get to the line labeling routine, go to your annotation tab, click the down arrow in the "add labels" box, and go to "lines and curves" near the bottom. In the resulting dialogue box, choose the style you want to edit by making it show in either the line label or curve label box, and click the blue box next to it. That will also open up the editing dialogue box.

Cad Manager/Senior Engineering Technician
Autodesk Certified Professional

Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-7700 CPU
3.60 GHz/24 GB BEAST
Civil 3D 2013/2014/2017/2018/2020
Message 12 of 13
yosephk
in reply to: civilman1957

This is 8 years old post and solved. You just wasted your precious time.

Windows 10 Pro x 64
16 GB Ram
Intel Xeon E3-1220 V2 @ 3.1 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro 600
Civil 3D 2019
Message 13 of 13
civilman1957
in reply to: yosephk

The message I posted was in response to a thread on this conversation that was posted yesterday. Stop wasting YOUR precious time...

Cad Manager/Senior Engineering Technician
Autodesk Certified Professional

Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-7700 CPU
3.60 GHz/24 GB BEAST
Civil 3D 2013/2014/2017/2018/2020

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report