Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Label text to be centre justified in dragged state 'Stacked Text'

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
troma
2850 Views, 12 Replies

Label text to be centre justified in dragged state 'Stacked Text'

Feature line label.

In the dragged state, I don't want to use 'As Composed' because the label is composed to be parallel to the line, but I want it to flip to horizontal to the view when dragged.  This is working fine with 'Stacked Text'

What is not working is the text justification.  I want it to remain centre justified, as it is composed.  But there doesn't seem to be any option for this when you use the 'Stacked Text' option for the dragged state.  I thought that setting the 'Leader Justification' to false might do it, but that just makes it always left justified.  Am I missing something here?  Is there no 'Top right/bottom right/middle center/top left.....' option for Stacked Text?  And if not, why not?

I'm in 2011.  Thanks.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Ed.McGriskin
in reply to: troma

I think that may be a limitation of the program.

It may behave closer to what you want if you use as-composed with the orientation reference set to view but you may have to manually draw the leader in.

Ed McGriskin, P.Eng.
Project Engineer @ HUSSON
Remember to accept the solution so others can find the solution also.
Message 3 of 13
Ed.McGriskin
in reply to: Ed.McGriskin

Additionally, I forgot that you can move the leader in 2013 so that the attachment point to the label works. Can't remeber if this was available in 2011.

Ed McGriskin, P.Eng.
Message 4 of 13
troma

I don't display the leader, so that's not an issue.  I can't set the orientation to 'view' as 95% of my labels are not dragged, and I need them to be parallel to the line.  I was using the dragged state to force a couple of them to be parallel to the view, but they're also the same ones that is most important to be centre justified.  So maybe I'll give up on dragging them and use a style that sets the orientation acceptably.

Mark Green

Message 5 of 13
jmayo-EE

I think I agree with Ed. Any chance you can post a simple example of the label on a pline?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 6 of 13
Ed.McGriskin

That should work. Would be nice if you could rotate pipe labels similar to the way you can rotate surface labels  in 2013.

Ed McGriskin, P.Eng.
Message 7 of 13
troma
in reply to: jmayo-EE

John, the issue is that I can get the labels to be either left justified, or leader justified.  There doesn't seem to be any option for right or centre justification.  This is using the 'stacked text' option, because as I said, most of them are not dragged and not oriented to the view.

why left justified..PNG

Thanks!

Mark Green

Message 8 of 13
troma

One other note: as you will see I have one label set to label the start of the line, and one at the end.  The one that labels the start snaps to the start, and the one that labels the end snaps to the end.  Therefore, setting the dragged state to 'as composed' is not an option, since the label will remain snapped to the vertex of the line and not move at all, no matter how much you drag it.

Mark Green

Message 9 of 13
Ed.McGriskin

If you were to change the elevation anchor point to Label Location it would work. Means you have to do a bit more dragging to get it to the right spot but would at least look correct. 

Ed McGriskin, P.Eng.
Message 10 of 13
jmayo-EE

I am back to Ed's original post. I think you found one of the label format variables that just can't be set.

I have tried this a number of times . With multiple components, preformated mtext pasted into the component editor all kinds of configurations.

Perhaps you can make a block with the e and the border and fit the elev inside it.   

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 11 of 13
jmayo-EE

Meant to reply to troma.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 12 of 13
troma

Thanks for the suggestions and testing this out for me.  Solutions for all posts that said:

A -it can't be done.

B -suggested workaround.

I don't want to make this label anchor to 'label location', as it is absolutely invaluable that it locks the label to the vertex that it is labeling.  But I ended up using one I rarely use, but have in my template, that is anchored to the label location.  When I 'm dragging it anyway it doesn't matter so much what the non-dragged state is anchored to.

Thanks to you both.

Mark Green

Message 13 of 13
nmessina

My wish would to be to allow dragged state to link to a Mleader Style then you can have all the options of Mleaders.

Nicholas, Messina Jr., PSM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report