Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Label pipe ie in civil 3d 2012

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
jnjhuz
818 Views, 11 Replies

Label pipe ie in civil 3d 2012

Is there a way to label pipe inverts in the profile at the inside structure wall instead of at the center of the structure?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
rendarin
in reply to: jnjhuz

I believe you have to adjust the rule set of the pipe so that the pipe terminates at the inside wall rather than the center.
Message 3 of 12
rendarin

Wait, I may have mis-read. Do you mean you want to place the label at at the inside wall, or do you want the label to show the invert to be calculated from the inner wall?
Message 4 of 12
jnjhuz
in reply to: rendarin

The pipe walls already end at the structure wall but the label is still labelling the pipe as if it goes to the center of the structure. 
Can I get the label to reference the pipe invert at the inside of the structure wall?

Message 5 of 12
david.zavislan

We have been able to do this with structure label styles and expressions.

PipeInvertLabels..jpg

Create an expression that takes the structure diameter and divides it by 2. It must then be scaled by the drawing scale factor to convert it to plotted units.

{Inner Structure Diameter}/2*{Drawing Scale Conversion}

Then use this expression in the Start Point X Offset value of the label style.

You will need a second expression that generates the negative offset to move the labels to the left.

The only problem with this is that you will need separate styles and expressions for circular and rectangular structures. One type has a diameter and the later will have a width property. You can't create an expression that will work with both. Instead of messing with the expressions, you could just enter an X offset that will work for most structures.

David Zavislan, P.E. | Wood Rodgers, Inc.
Message 6 of 12
jnjhuz
in reply to: david.zavislan

Thanks. I'm sure this works. I just don't know what I'm doing with
expressions. I can work on it. If I did an X offset I'd also have to do a y
offset at whatever the pipe slope is right?
Message 7 of 12
david.zavislan

The sample labels that I posted above were placed at the structure label location, with the structure label placement set to "At Bottom of Structure".   Pipe properties are not available in structure label expressions, therefore, you will not be able to use pipe invert or slope values to calculate the Y label offset.

Message 8 of 12
jnjhuz

So it sounds like I can't get the pipe invert elevation at the inside
structure wall at this time. Thanks anyway.
Message 9 of 12
david.zavislan

One work around, that I have seen here in the forums, is to layout a profile on the pipe inverts an then using profile grade break labels.  This does require you to manually edit the profile to match any changes to the pipe network.

Message 10 of 12
jnjhuz

That works. Thanks!
Message 11 of 12
rendarin

All this discussion on this has made me start doubting the way I have everything setup with my files! I was under the impression the IEI and IEO already took the end-of-pipe into consideration, based on your setting sin the rule set. I shall tinker further.
Message 12 of 12
jnjhuz
in reply to: rendarin

Let me know what you come up with.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report