Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Label Objects on individual layers

30 REPLIES 30
Message 1 of 31
civman_daar
798 Views, 30 Replies

Label Objects on individual layers

C3D 2012 Win 7 Pro

I have Note label Style objects and Marker Style Objects that have layers assigned to them.  When I bring a Note label or Marker Style into the drawing, it comes in on the zero layer.  I know that the object layers of the drawing settings are controlling this.  Is it possible to have the Note labels and/or Markers come in on the assigned layers of their Styles?  What settings(s) achieve this?

Thanks

30 REPLIES 30
Message 21 of 31
civman_daar
in reply to: troma

I response to Jeff M. 

The markers can be used separate of the Note Label, and vise versa.  I have note labels, that have no connection to a marker.  Example:  UNPLATTED LANDS.  We use this on surveys and the beauty is that if the label has to be moved, it has a leader attachment.  As for the markers, most of these have paired note labels.  Sometimes it may be necessary to have a marker without a label, legend driven symbology.  In this instance, it would be great to have the marker come in on its designated layer.

Message 22 of 31
Jeff_M
in reply to: civman_daar

Yes, I know a NoteLabel can be added without a marker (almost all of my notes are added without them). When the Note does have a marker associated, they are linked together. How do you insert a marker by itself?

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 23 of 31
civman_daar

I wanted the notes and markers to come in on individual layers when they are separately inserted objects.  I understand that the inserted combination of the two yields a combined object. I guess that the combined object with have to be controlled through the drawing settings>object layers settings.  Is there any way to have the combined object insert on the layer of the note style?

Thanks

Message 24 of 31
Jeff_M

@civman_daar wrote:

I wanted the notes and markers to come in on individual layers when they are separately inserted objects.  I understand that the inserted combination of the two yields a combined object. I guess that the combined object with have to be controlled through the drawing settings>object layers settings.  Is there any way to have the combined object insert on the layer of the note style?

Thanks

Yes, both the Note and Note/Marker combination labels can be set to the layer defined in the NoteLabelStyle. I'm still not understanding how you have the marker separately inserted.

EESignature
Message 25 of 31
civman_daar

Set the note label to <none>, then set the marker to some defined style.  Works both ways. You can insert a note or marker separately or both together throught the Add Labels dialog box.

Message 26 of 31
troma

I don't have a <none> setting. Is that a label style you made yourself?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 27 of 31
DaveM

With the availability of blocks and cogo points, I am struggling with the reasoning for inserting a marker without a label attached.

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
ATI FirePro V5700(FireGL)
Win 7 Home Professional
Please use Kudos Where Deserved

Message 28 of 31
civman_daar

Yes.  Its probably a NO_DISPLAY Label Style that is called <none>

Message 29 of 31
civman_daar
in reply to: DaveM

The marker can represent any block at any scale.  The survey dept. will use the markers for document drafting.  They are moving from LDD 2008 to C3D 2012, shortly.

Message 30 of 31
Jeff_M

@civman_daar wrote:

Yes.  Its probably a NO_DISPLAY Label Style that is called <none>

OK, that makes more sense and is what I figured you might say. I can update the code to use the MarkerStyle's layer when the NoteLabelStyle is set to "<none>". 

EESignature
Message 31 of 31
civman_daar

Outstanding!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report