Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Label Northing & Easting (X,Y)

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
75120 Views, 13 Replies

Label Northing & Easting (X,Y)

Ok... I am using AutoCAD Civil 2010, and this seems like it should be a really simple thing to do... (as it was in older versions of Land Desktop)

But... I want to label the Northing & Easting. As simple as that. I want to be able to pick a location, either by selecting with the cursor, or the intersection of two lines, or a center of a circle, or a node, or whatever...

I just want to label the Northing & Easting... and I am yet to find a command that does this.

Help!

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
SethHall
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi aday4-

Please have a look at this blog post written by Justin Ziemba as I believe it will provide you with a resolution to this issue: http://beingcivil.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/02/creating-a-label-to-show-spot-coordinates.html

Hope this helps!

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: SethHall

But... i don't want to add a point at the location... I just want to label the location.... Is this functionality removed? If so.... shame shame shame on AutoDesk.

Why does there have to be a multiple-step process... to simply add a label to a location???!?!?!

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous

How are you going to tell where the label goes if you don't have something to indicate where it is?

Set the point style to go on a no plot or off layer and the label style (N/E) to be on a layer you can see / plot.  NBD.

Labels are much more powerful now.  It's a multi-step process only once.  Set your styles in a template and be done with it.  They're now available in all drawings started with that template.

Reid

Message 5 of 14
peterfunkautodesk

That was a older blog post...

For Civil 3D 2010 you can add the Northing and Easting (and elevation if you want) into a note label.

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous

I attached 2 screenshots.... Where is this functionality?

It's easy to "tell the label where to go".... you snap to the location, then click the location of the label/rotation....

you can label a lot of coordinates, very quickly and very easily.

Sometimes making something "more powerful" makes it more cumbersome.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: peterfunkautodesk

This is a slightly more acceptable solution....

Message 8 of 14
peterfunkautodesk

You need to make a "Note Label" that adds Northing and Easting into to label. You then add the note label from the Annotation ribbon. Should take a couple of mins to set it up to match your company standards. The label can also be copied around the drawing an the copies will display their current location.

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 14
SethHall

Thanks for that Peter.

What he is talking about is adding a Northing and Easting label component to a General Note. No point will be created and it should be close to what you are looking for.

2450i8C75EF571AB7A219

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 10 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: SethHall

Thanks... I figured the Note label out and have it set up the way I want it... this is a little closer to what I was looking for.

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

Gotta agree it makes it more cumbersome - once.  The whole idea of C3d was to tie things together so that if one thing changed, everything tied to it updated with the change.  It takes some getting used to that concept, and things that seemed really simple in LDT got "more complicated" because of it.  However,  ADSK is also trying to make so you set it once & forget it after that (templates).

It took me a good bit of time to get out of the "LDC was so much simpler" thinking and really try to embrace C3d as a whole new program and forget how it used to be done and take advantage of what C3d can do.  And I'm still learning every day (which is why I'm on these boards).

Reid

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous

I agree with you - this is much too cumbersome. To have to set up new styles for every little thing you want to do. I don't want a point, I JUST want to ID an end of a line. Stop with making the perfect model already! We have to make money too!

Give in to the BORG, you will be assimilated!! Repeat after me - "Land Desktop is bad, Land Desktop is bad. Civil 3D is GOOD". Repeat three times, genuflex and grit your teeth. Autodesk, I mean the BORG, really has no sympathy for you.

"Land Desktop is bad, Land Desktop is bad. Civil 3D is GOOD"

Message 13 of 14
wfberry

. . .I JUST want to ID an end of a line. . .

OK, select the line.  Take your cursor and "stick" it in the end of the line you want.

Read the  X-Y-Z coordinates on the bottom of the monitor.

Bill

Message 14 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: wfberry

Bill, Bill, Bill,

Oh, if it were only that simple  Bill. Thank you for taking a portion of the comment. DUH, I can always READ the coordinates. By ID I meant label. I don't need a point there, just a simple label.

OK, Bill, Expert Elite, obviously I am viewed as an idiot by your reply, now label the end of the line with the northing and easting in one command without having to create a new style...  I can in Land Desktop, and I don't need to insert a point, or be an alignment, or need special properties. It can even be haphazard - what a concept!

The underlying point of this thread is the loss of useability of the program by programmers who KNOW what we need. How many of them had to make money USING the program that we are forced to upgrade to because they will not support their previous work. Must be nice.

No more replies please.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report