Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Label Layers

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Rainman1
5375 Views, 11 Replies

Label Layers

We are running AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014. All our labels in our Civil 3D template are coming in on the same layer (see attachment). All plan and profile labels are coming in on layer CTXT-017. Although, if you look at the second screen capture in the attachment, you will see that the label is on layer CTXT-STM, which is the correct layer. It doesn't matter which layer is current, all the labels are inserted into the drawing on layer CTXT-017. This becomes a problem when trying to isolate layers. If I explode the label, all entities are on the correct layer. So, why are they all inserted on layer CTXT-017??
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
rkmcswain
in reply to: Rainman1

Explore your OBJECT LAYER settings.

Toolspace > Settings > Right-click on drawing name > Drawing Settings > Object Layers.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 12
Pointdump

Rainy,

Understanding the tortured logic behind Layers in Styles is maddening. I struggle with it constantly, and have never completely come to grips with it.

Here's about the best explanation I've found:
http://www.civil4d.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/C3D-Styles-and-Layers1.pdf

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 12
kcobabe

This is why I always have to retrain people.  The reason you are seeing this is probably because of a couple reasons:

1 - Your template in the drawing settings places those labels as they are produced on that layer

2 - Your template has the layer hard coded into the style

3 - The setting for the pipe networks labels are set to that

First off I'm not a fan of people that like to hardcode layers into their styles.  This makes dealing with the drawings very difficult.  I have talked to many of the people who are the "Go to people" about this and why they train that (You know who you are).  This should only be done on complex styles where multiple objects display are set by the style (i.e. Profile Views).

In my opinion, and I think I'm blue in the face from stating this and why, on labels and simple styles (which is the majority of C3D).  All styles should go to Layer 0 (This dates way back back, remember 0 is a special layer 😉 ) and use "Byblock" for color, linetype, & lineweight.  This will reduce the amount of labels you need to create dramatically.  Not to mention will allow you to use all your object like any other AutoCAD object.

On glitch about the entire system no matter what layer you put it on.  Once you set it to the correct layer.  Don't change it.  In 2012, you could sync without it reverting back the the drawing settings layer.  2013 they messed it up to where it will continuely force that when syncing.

Final big plus, and yes I'm going to say it, if you do DOD, NAVFAC, AEC, etc... work.  You drawings will transfer to microstation with almost no problem.  Really it does.  Just have to make sure you have that Microstation DWGOpen lienweight box fixed 😉

Boy that was long winded 🙂

R10 - 2020 ACAD
2008 - 2020 Civil 3D
2014 - 2020 Plant 3D
2014 - 2020 Revit
V8i - V8i SS4 Microstation
Infraworks
2018-2020 Inventor
2020 Navisworks
Message 5 of 12
IanMcClain
in reply to: kcobabe

Hear, hear!

It would also help if a *current layer* option were available for object labels.

I am moved to re-rank AUGI wishes, seemingly the only outlet for a terribly reasonable feature:

http://www.augi.com/wishlist/rank-wishes/autocad-civil-3d/408945

http://www.augi.com/wishlist/rank-wishes/autocad-civil-3d/409031

http://www.augi.com/wishlist/rank-wishes/autocad-civil-3d/466188

Ian McClain
Message 6 of 12
Rainman1

This is the reason why they are all coming in on layer CTXT-017:

Toolspace > Settings > Right-click on drawing name > Drawing Settings > Object Layers (as stated above)

There is only one option in the settings for alignment/structure/pipe/surface labels. This regardless of whether the labels are for proposed or existing enities. No good at all if we want to isolate layers. It doesn't matter what layer the label styles are on.  

Message 7 of 12
kcobabe

I think I will just use pictures to explain what I'm talking about and maybe this will fix your problem.

Notice my drawing settings are defaulting to "C-ALGN-DATA"

1 - Drawing Settings.jpg

Notice my Label Style General Setting places it on Layer 0.  Remember Layer 0 and Defpoints are special layers in any Autodesk application.

2-Layer 0.jpg

Notice my Color, Lineweight, and Linetypes are set to "Byblock".  Which since C3D labels are pretty much a block (Explode one and see what it turns into).

3-Byblock.jpg

Now I will draw an alingment and sure enough it will put the labels on "C-ALGN-DATA" as it's supposed to.  Because of the way my label style is setup it will also take on all the properties of "C-ALGN-DATA".

4-Label on Default.jpg

Since it is on by block I can also change the color, lineweight and linetype to whatever.

4.1-Label on Default with color change.jpg

Change the Layer and everything changes to that of the layer you change it to.

5-Layer after Change.jpg

After I add Geometry Point Labels, notice because they are setup the same way they are on different layers.  I did not change the Major back to "C-ALGN-DATA", but because that my default notice the Geometry Point Labels come in on it automatically.

6-Different Label Types on Different Layers.jpg

I want to freeze the Layer that the Major Station Labels are on.

7-Freeze One Layer.jpg

I want Major Station Labels at different increments.

8-Multiple Major Station Labels.jpg

I want them on different layers.

9-Multiple Stations different Layers.jpg

I hope this helps.

Keep in mind I have done this for every simple style there is in my template.  The only time this will not work is when something is reading from another object or it is a complex object (Profile Views, Section Views, Corridors, Subassemblies, Assemblies, etc...).  So having many link codes is good if you do a lot of material sections.  I don't so I just have a Non Plottable link style.  Also having feature line styles that will place featurelines in a corridor on the correct layer are important.  The feature line is reading to a code set that is set by the corridor.  In otherwords if you put it on a byblock and your corridor is on 0 or something it's not going to work.  Bands are another item that need a lot of tooling.  They are a sub object of an object.  So obviously you will want to hard code the layers in those.  Want your existing elevation in a band style to screen?  Change the color of the elevation that is going to be the existing to a screening color.

R10 - 2020 ACAD
2008 - 2020 Civil 3D
2014 - 2020 Plant 3D
2014 - 2020 Revit
Infraworks
2018-2020 Inventor
2020 Navisworks
Message 8 of 12
Rainman1

Hmmm, isn't it just putting it on layer C-ALGN-DATA because that is the layer that you have it set to in "Drawing Settings"? What if you change the "Drawing Settings" layer to any other layer, will it still put it on C-ALGN-DATA? We have storm, sanitary and water piping networks that all have different pipe and structure labels. There is only one setting in "Drawing Settings" for "Structure" and "Structure-Labeling". Therefore, all piping and structure labels go on those layers. We want the storm, sanitary and water labels on their own unique layers so if we isolate a piping network (structures and pipes), the corresponding labels are also isolated. Same goes for alignments. We have existing and proposed alignments but all labels come in on whatever the layer is set to for "Alignment" and "Alignment-Labeling" in "Drawing Settings".

Message 9 of 12
kcobabe

Hmmm, isn't it just putting it on layer C-ALGN-DATA because that is the layer that you have it set to in "Drawing Settings"? 

Yes

What if you change the "Drawing Settings" layer to any other layer, will it still put it on C-ALGN-DATA? 

No, the layer in the drawing settings is just a default layer.  Sort of a starting point.  So it will automatically place it on that layer to minimize work.  That is the only reason for it.  After the labels are placed you can change as you wish.  In other words, just because it's default does not mean that you have to keep it on that layer.

If you do as I have shown you can change it as you wish.  Just make sure the label goes on layer "0" in the label style and uses byblock for color, lineweight, and linetype.

Think of this as you draw a regular line on 0.  Does that mean it's stuck on that layer?  No, you can change it as needed.

So in other words for all you labels, just do as I instructed.  Once you place the label, structure, pipe, etc..  in the drawing change the layer.  One benefit when creating pipe netorks is you can override the default there for structure and pipes as well.  Keep in mind in the pipe network those are only the defaults.  By no means are the labels stuck on that layer.

creation.jpg

R10 - 2020 ACAD
2008 - 2020 Civil 3D
2014 - 2020 Plant 3D
2014 - 2020 Revit
Infraworks
2018-2020 Inventor
2020 Navisworks
Message 10 of 12
Rainman1

That is exactly what we are trying to get away from. That is what we have been doing. Having to draw our pipe networks and then go change all the structure labels to the proper layer is just another step. Thank you.

Message 11 of 12
kcobabe

What I would do in that case is make the default 0.  Once you have placed the labels for a network and use the "Select Similar" routine and change the layer.

For my company we usually have Storm (Gravity) in one file and Utilities (Sewer-Gravity & Water-Pressure) in another file.  All of out pipe networks are xrefed in to make things easier and not so complex.  To many data shortcuts, usually equals bad news.  So we set our defaults in the sheets.

R10 - 2020 ACAD
2008 - 2020 Civil 3D
2014 - 2020 Plant 3D
2014 - 2020 Revit
Infraworks
2018-2020 Inventor
2020 Navisworks
Message 12 of 12
Hidden_Brain

Very neat setup, thank you for sharing the idea. I have one question:
If I run export to autocad or explode all objects before sending to another outside vanilla cad user, do all the drawing entities reside in layer zero with this setup? or they stay in their object layers?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report