Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Label Appears When Object is Selected

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
mcloughlin
258 Views, 5 Replies

Label Appears When Object is Selected

In Civil 3D 2014, I suddenly see a label appear when I select any object on my screen.  I append an example in which I have selected a line, at which point the label appears, telling me that I have selected a line, begorrah!  I'm guessing that I have inadvertently changed some sysvar or something.  

Having been aware already that I selected this line, I don't feel as if I need a label to describe my selection.  I find these labels a distraction, and would like to turn them off.  How do I do that?  

Many thanks.  

Menu When Object Selected 24 Nov 2014.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Jay_B
in reply to: mcloughlin

That's the Quick Properties Palette.

It can be toggled off here:

Quick Properties.PNG

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 6
Pointdump
in reply to: Jay_B

Jay,

I learn something new here everyday. I'd never even heard of Quick Properties before. Thanks.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 4 of 6
doni49
in reply to: Pointdump

@Pointdump wrote:

Jay,

I learn something new here everyday. I'd never even heard of Quick Properties before. Thanks.

Dave

Me too.  I had never heard of this before.  And when I went looking for it, I didn't even see the icon Jay referenced.

So for those who, like me, don't see the icon, right click on these icons then click Display.  You'll see a menu similar to the image below.

Now you can enable this icon.

In the alternative, you can also toggle this setting by pressing Shift+Ctrl+P.

QuickProperties.png

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 5 of 6
tcorey
in reply to: mcloughlin

Yep, Quick Properties is easy to turn off, but I encourage you to explore the use of this great tool. If you set it up for your personal use style, this can be a very fast way of modifying objects, particularly Civil 3D object and label styles. Press the Customization button at the top right of the dialog.

I use it often for changing the elevations of polylines and it works well for changing vertex elevations on 3D polylines. Just go into the Customization and turn on or off the properties you want. Never change object Color? Turn it off. Need often the change layer? Turn it on. Each object type has its own settings, so if you don't change Surface layer, leave Layer off for surfaces, but it can still be available for Polylines.

Why is this better than the regular Properties dialog? Because you can make it show only those properties in which you are interested, making it faster to find and to change the value you want.

Also, Quick Properties doesn't have to follow your cursor around like is the default. To supress this behavior and have the dialog always show up in the same location, right click on its edge and change Location Mode to Static. I like to place mine on the right end of the ribbon so it doesn't cover part of the graphic screen.

If you're the type of user who is always looking for ways to work a little faster, I encourage you to take a good look at Quick Properties. Don't just turn it off and forget it.

Best regards,

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 6 of 6
Pointdump
in reply to: tcorey

Thanks, Tim!

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report