Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

joining feature lines

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
auzzie2776
2482 Views, 9 Replies

joining feature lines

G'day folks, im running civil 3d 2010, tunns (tonnes) of ram, oodles of power and a great machine all round, all the latest service packs and hotfixes.

Im having a issue with joining feature lines, i have a few feature lines that when i join the first one it works great, but when i try to do the second one, the machine locks up. I have tried different combinations of this and am unable to get past the first join.

The feature lines arent complex and have maybe 4-5 verticies each. There really is nothing special about this, just really odd it happens. I have tried offsetting, deleting the original, then offsetting back in place, all to no avail.

any suggestions,

Cheers

Jason

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Hi,

>> any suggestions

Copy these 5 feature lines to a new drawing. Save this new drawing and try it once more to concatenate them once more.

If the problem is the same, upload this drawing so we can look into it.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 10
jmayo-EE
in reply to: auzzie2776

Are you positive the endpoints coincide perfectly? No overhangs? I have only seen this command fail when the linework didn't quite line-up.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

You may need to snap one endpoint of the feature line to the other depending on the rounding of significant figures of the elevations of the lines.  I do this, as John stated, when things don't line up exactly.

Message 5 of 10
auzzie2776
in reply to: Anonymous

yes, i set the precision to 5 decimals, even set the tolerance correctly. i checked the endpoint elevations to make sure they all matched. I even moved the lines to 0,0 to check to see if that made a difference.

i have found a workaround, but it would be nice if there is a solution. i have found someething on the knowledge base, but it doesnt apply to my situation.

any other ideas

jason

Message 6 of 10

Hi,

>> i have found a workaround

And to get the optimum out of the sight of a forum it would be great to get your workaround described 😉

Is it possible to get the drawing? You want to have ideas (other as you got yet) but I cannot reproduce your situation and my feeling is, you have a very special one 😉

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

I wouldn't rely on the listing of elevations as shown in the listings of the properties or list command.  These always round up to the decimal format you have.  I have seen 0.0000 and 0.0000 and they still don't join.  But when I snap one endpoint to the other, it usually takes care of it.

Message 8 of 10
JustinSider

I'm having the same problem.  It's just a glitch with Civil 3D, you either have to do it all over or deal with what you got.  Get use to it... I have to ask google about 20 times a day how to fix something because Civil 3D is the worst software I've ever used before.

Message 9 of 10

Hi,

>> I'm having the same problem

Which of the above suggestions have you tried ... and what was the result?

Can you upload a dwg-file with just these feature lines and let us know which version of Civil 3D you are using so we can take a look into it?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 10 of 10

I'm using civil 3D 2014.  I found out that there's (2) kinds of join, so I was able to join my (3) feature lines by using the modify command in the feature line tab..... but something weird happened to the mid section after joining.

I have a 3D poly line that runs through a tunnel for 1400m at a steady slope.  After I joined the feature lines together and ran the grades report, it created a bunch of stations inside the tunnel at random sections.  I split them up and ran the mid section and it only showed (2) points, beginning of the tunnel and the end which it should have.  Oh well.  Got what I needed done, just took me all day. 🙂

Thanks for the help.... hope this helps someone else too, there's two join commands!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report