Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IT guy says I don't need a new PC, can you comment on my computer specs?

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
chucas11
1597 Views, 24 Replies

IT guy says I don't need a new PC, can you comment on my computer specs?

I think I do. My machine is 7 years old. I am currently running AuoCAD Civil 3D 2011. I use my machine a lot for preliminary designs, so I import many images from ArcGIS or from aerial fly overs to use as a base. The image sizes are fairly large, some aerial tiles can be 200+mb. I believe we will be updating to 2013 or 2014 soon. Here are my specs:

From "My computer":

System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002, Service Pack 3

Manufactored and supported by: Gateway E-4500S

Intel ® Pentium ® 4CPU, 3.00GHz

1.99GB of Ram

From system information in help & Support:
Specifications Gateway System Model: E-4500S BIOS Version: Intel Corp. PB94510J.15A.0205.2006.0113.1314 Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows XP Professional- Not Activated (Expires in 30 Days) Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack: 3.0 Location: C:\WINDOWS PID: 76487-OEM-0011903-00103 Hot Fix: XpsEPSC

Memory (RAM) Capacity: 2 GB

Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz Version: x86 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 2 Speed: 2999 MHz

Local Disk Total Capacity: 37.25 GB Sum of Hard Disks: (C: 😧 )

Used: 33.38 GBFree: 3.87 GB 

Thanks for the help!!!!!!

-Luca

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
troma
in reply to: chucas11

Check out the system requirements page.  Looks like you need more RAM if you upgrade just to meet the minimum, and the minimum isn't really enough if you have large data sets.  I don't know anything about ArcGIS, I'm sure others will comment, but this link should be a good starting point.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 25
jmayo-EE

As for the OS you are using possibly the worst available option IMO. Even if it's 64 bit then it's the second worst option. Your PC does not meet the min requirements for 2014, you are at the bare min requirements for 2013. I would not want to pay someone to use CD on your PC. I would waste too much time and money to crashes and slow performance.

I would not recommend anyone running CD with the bare min. requirements.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 4 of 25

Agreed, and with C3D 2014 XP is not a supported OS, ONLY 64BIT Win 7/8.

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer
Message 5 of 25
BrianHailey

Upgrade your OS. Win7 64. Best thing you could do if you can't get a new computer.

After that, upgrade your RAM. I would recommend 8GB minimum. On my system I have 32GB and with some of the data sets provided by my customers, I've come close to maxing it out.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 6 of 25
antoniovinci
Message 7 of 25
nvafakos

your IT guy doesn't actually use the software, does he?  I am a designer and IT guy; two years ago we upgraded from a very similar setup (WinXP, 4GB RAM, Pentium 4 - 3.4GHz) to Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and 8GB of RAM (this only cost us about $400/workstation).  The number of fatal errors we were getting went from 3 or more per user per day, to 2 or less per user per week.   We were finally able to replace our 6-7 year old workstations with all new custom built workstations (for about $1400 each) so we can upgrade to 2014.  For what you are doing, I would recommend a Core i7 3770k or better, a minimum of 16GB of RAM, a 256GB SSD, and, if cost is an issue, a high end consumer video card which will only cost you about as much as an entry level workstation video card (we are using AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB cards and haven't had any problems whatsoever).  Hope this helps

Message 8 of 25
chucas11

Guys, 

Thank you for the responses! The IT guy kept giving me "Well, your machine has the minimum requirements established by the program" speech. So I'm hoping your comments will be able to shed some light. He tried telling me that he would buy a desktop with 4GB ram, and replied by telling him that it would be a complete waste to buy a machine with just 4GB ram. Oh well, hopefully this does the trick. Thanks!

Message 9 of 25
dgorsman

4 GB RAM is borderline for a computer running x64 Win7 and a couple of desktop applications like Word or Excel.  For simple CAD work (e.g. 2D schematics) 8 GB would be considered a minimum.  For data-intensive work like Civil 3D 12 GB is usually considered the lower end of acceptable (and works out nicely for both dual- and triple-channel RAM).  With 8 GB sticks now commonly available there isn't much point in not getting 16 GB for a couple of extra dollars.

Don't forget about the rest of the system too - everything works together.  Not much point putting a full 32 GB RAM on a 1.6 GHz processor, or using a clunky 5400 RPM hard disk with an overclocked and water cooled 4.6 GHz processor, for example.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 10 of 25
bcsurvey

I wouldn't want to cause problem for you, but if your IT guy is telling you that, let him know that you strongly disagree with him and that you're prepared to make your case to HIS boss.  If your organization gives a hoot about their production/performance, then it might not be looked down on to go over someone's head if you feel strongly enough about your ability to do your job with excellence.

I am about to get a major RAM upgrade after trying to run ArcGIS and C3D 2012 with my current machine (see my sig below).  I opted out of a 2nd monitor for some dumb reason last year, so I'll also be getting one of those soon (ArcGIS alone is tough on 1 monitor!).  I had several freezes/crashes yesterday and just slow performance for days.  So I won't be running both juggernaut apps together until I get the RAM, which will probably be at least 12 GB.

Good luck!

Civil 3D 2019 (6.1)
Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
(i7-11850H @ 2.50 GHz)
32GB RAM
NVIDIA RTX A2000
Message 11 of 25
neilyj666

I wouldn't put much value on the "minimum requirements" when it comes to AutoCAD Civil 3D - although as mentioned the RAM isn't necessarily the only factor to consider but I'll not repeat what every one else has said.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 12 of 25
Joe-Bouza

Your IT guy obviously has not looked up or read the recommended system requirements for civil3d. go to autodesk and serch for the recommended requirements and pass on to IT

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 13 of 25
ArchD
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Time to upgrade.

Archie Dodge
Applications Expert - Infrastructure Solutions Division
IMAGINiT Technologies
Message 14 of 25
andrewpuller3811

We were getting the same line from our IT department after they got a minimum spec machines and I ended up doing a comparison of crashes and the cost of crashes of our minimum spec work machine versus my home machine. I passed that onto my manager and he wanted to know what we should get. We had the first one ordered within 2 weeks which is a bit of a record for where I work.

I will attach the spread sheet I used to do the comparison and the system recommendation I made at the time. Be aware these are 2 years old now so you should up the specs a bit as mentioned in previous posts.

When confronted with the potential lost wages, which does not also include the on cost, i.e. delay in construction jobs etc. my manager got IT to provide the computers I specified.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 15 of 25

I agree with everyone else. My machine is six years old (Dell Precision Workstation 390) and has a Core 2 Duo 6400 CPU. I spent about $250 to up the RAM to 8 GB (max for this MB), and drop in a 1 TB HDD. The machine came with Win XP, but I upgraded it to Win 8 64-bit last fall. I've been running C3D 2014 since it was released, and it runs fine, but I'd say my setup is about the bare minimum for acceptably running C3D. I figure the $250 was worth it to squeak another year or two out of this computer.

Mark Castle
Win 10 64-Bit, Thinkpad P50
16 GB RAM; Core i7-6820HQ; Quadro M1000M
Message 16 of 25

Great document Andrew, very often it is best to produce these sorts of fact and figures as $$$ or £££ are the only language that "the suits" speak.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 17 of 25
dtucker

IT setup my computer to minimum requirements on ram and I had all kinds of performance issues with multiple apps open. Upgraded ram to 12 gb and the problems ceased.

Message 18 of 25
Joe-Bouza

Keep in mind - a bigger gas tank does not make your car go faster.

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 19 of 25
bcsurvey
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joe,

Pardon my post-3-day-weekend rant . . .

I get your point, but beefing up your fuel pump would be part of that equation.  I think a better analogy to RAM (in terms of IC engine components) would be upgrading an undersized air box, MAF, throttle body, and maybe even surge tank for more air flow.

Civil 3D 2019 (6.1)
Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
(i7-11850H @ 2.50 GHz)
32GB RAM
NVIDIA RTX A2000
Message 20 of 25
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: bcsurvey

We might as well put a Nitros bottle in too ? <G>

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report